• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 S-14 Conversion

pkuchay

After spending three months looking I found an original owner, all records, rust free 2002 on Bimmer.com/02. I bought the car after looking at 155 digital photos.....as a matter of fact, I fed'exed out the check within hours after looking at the photos. It took four weeks to get the car to Connecticut (from California) and round one of the mods have begun. We did Rota wheels, Massive brakes conversion has begun.

Chairs, the rest of the brakes and suspension will be done in mid September, then the S-14 conversion will take place at the end of this year.

I call this a stage one conversion, we will be fitting AC and a nice stereo and keep the S-14 fairly stock. I have a second project planned for a stage two S-14 conversion....so if anyone has a rust free shell let me know. Stage two will be a flaired, bored, stroked light weight track car that can be run on the street as well.

Sport Car Restoration is doing all of my work. Matt McGinn, Jim and Justin are great guys to do business.

http://picasaweb.google.com/P.kuchay/M2

post-3902-13667581345964_thumb.jpg

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CONGRATS. sounds very much like the car im building. basically stock looking with a/c and a fairly stock s14. can we see more pics of what youve got so far? im maybe 10 hours from driving mine which has been a 3 1/2 year project

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Sounds very similar, I'd love to see some pictures of your project. What did you do in terms of brakes and suspension?

The car looks really and Im always interested to see people do the s14 swap.

You said your wheels are rotas and I looked them up and saw that they come in 15x7s. Is that the size you have and if so do you have any problems with them rubbing?

Eric

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

Yes, they are 15 x 7 and we have rolled the fender lips to aid in clearance. Also, going with Ireland suspension components to aid the set up, camber plates and some other tweaks will keep the tires under the fenders.

Are you planning a coilover suspension setup from Ireland? Or a spring/shock combo?

It's a good looking car, already, too!

Thank you for the positive comments. We are doing the Ireland Stage 2 combination of Bilstiens HD's with the Sport stage 2 springs, Urethane bushings, fixed camber plates (that we will slot), custom shock tower brace in front and rear, 22mm sway bar up front and 19mm sway bar in the rear, again from Ireland.

Brakes: Master cylinder from a BMW 750, Massive Brakes set up in the front and rear.

Wheel, Rota.......tires: New Yokohama S.Drive tires. (F) 195-50-15, ® 205-50-15.

Currently I am driving the car with just the front brakes done and the rear drums, Bilstiens and wheels and tires.......OH MY GOD does this car stop. I can't wait to finish the suspension and brakes. I've driven three or four 2002's, this car is really going to be special. We should be wrapped up with the everything mid month in September.

In addition to the suspension and brakes we will be fitting a front spoiler, Hella H4 inserts with Hella 500's on custom mounting brackets. I'm still up in the air about putting a front bumper on the car. I'm not wild about the 73 bumpers. We'll see.

Interior wise Dave @ Aardvarc Racing has shipped us his remanufactured Recaro's in Saddle. The car is currently dark blue but I am going to convert it to Saddle. The new Momo wheel is also en route.

Stereo will probably be, Kenwood head unit, Alpine class D amps, Dynaudio three ways up front, Dynaudio rear fill, JL W7 Powerwedge in the trunk. That's about the entire project in a nut shell.

Sounds very similar, I'd love to see some pictures of your project. What did you do in terms of brakes and suspension?

ive got lees front massive set up and irelands rear discs with a 750 m/c

right now i have h&rs with bilstein sports but im swapping them out for IE2's because i like the stance better. rather than mess up your project thread with pics of my car, have a look at my project thread when you get time. i believe our cars will be very similar when done

its a long blog but if you just skim thru the pics you can get an idea of the build

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,268147/

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

you're probably the reason i've had to wait an extra week for my recaros. Luckily i'll get em right before i go to college in the uk

You're car is the same color and a year older than than mine. White looks best on 02's. good taste.

I thought i was doing alot with a complete head job and front suspension rebuild along with a bigger carb, bigger radiator, new shocks, restored recaros, camber plates, new transmission, short shift, etc. But your 2002 project clears my one of the map!

Good work

How much money have you sunk into her?

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

Didn't your mother ever tell you it wasn't polite to ask about money?!?! Lol.....

I've restored two cars in the past, a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine ($5,500 in 1981)and a 1971 Porsche 911 E ($32,000 in 1991) Fyi, I sold the Sunbeam for $1,500 for my first 2002 and I sold my 911 for $8,500 in 1996 so I could buy a house.

I learned a long time ago that it's not about the money. We do this because these cars are significant to our past and are priceless jewels to be well cared for and preserved. Prior to buying my car it had been years since I saw a 2002 going down the road and I really missed seeing them around.

To be honest with you I'm not counting, but I would think I'll have some where north of $20k and somewhere south of $30k into the overall project. If I hadn't found a rock solid car to start with I would have expected to spend a lot more than this. I looked at a ton of cars that would have had to be torn apart, repaired and put back together. I would think if I had to do that I would have tried to budget closer to $40 or $50k for the project.

Life lesson learned.........never go into this type of hobby with some preconceived notion that your investment will come back to you. Just because I want an M2 doesn't mean someone is willing to pay $30,000 for it when I'm done.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.......... :-)

is that chamonix? in some of the photos it looks a little darker than chamonix, in a good way. im possibly about to save a second 02' and i want to paint it a little darker than chamonix, kinda like it looks in some of your photos (or perhaps its just my screen!)

anyways, keep up the great work, looking really good!

Brent May - Swinburne Uni

1974 2002 Resto:

IE 10.5:1 Pistons, IE header, IE urethane bits, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Whiteline Swaybars, 45DCOE Webers, 304 cam..

16082007263.jpg

It is chamonix.....my camera has an automatic flash that has a mind of it's own. This shows up on the photo's shot in doors. They can vary hues by quite a bit.

I just got my seats and steering wheel in late last week. I have to shoot some photos and load them into my gmail account.

Didn't your mother ever tell you it wasn't polite to ask about money?!?! Lol.....

I learned a long time ago that it's not about the money. We do this because these cars are significant to our past and are priceless jewels to be well cared for and preserved. Prior to buying my car it had been years since I saw a 2002 going down the road and I really missed seeing them around.

To be honest with you I'm not counting, but I would think I'll have some where north of $20k and somewhere south of $30k into the overall project. If I hadn't found a rock solid car to start with I would have expected to spend a lot more than this. I looked at a ton of cars that would have had to be torn apart, repaired and put back together. I would think if I had to do that I would have tried to budget closer to $40 or $50k for the project.

Life lesson learned.........never go into this type of hobby with some preconceived notion that your investment will come back to you. Just because I want an M2 doesn't mean someone is willing to pay $30,000 for it when I'm done.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.......... :-)

thanks for the heavy lecture.

i was a bit curious because your 02 reminded me of mine and i've just finished an assload of work and was trying to compare the two pricewise and parts wise of what really was to come.

it's not about the money, i love my 02. i don't dare look at all my receipts at once. maybe i'm a bit evnvious because i'm 18 and don't have 40 grand to throw into my 02 =/

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

I appreciate the envy but save it for some other forum. I've paid my dues and worked my way up from the bottom....twelve years to the Navy Submarine Service and a ton of time under the surface of the ocean protecting your rights to voice your opinion in a free country.

No matter what happens keep your car if you can. Don't let it go. You're in San Jose, a climate friendly environment for these cars. Some of my biggest regrets have to do with selling my cars that meant so much to me.

Keep participating and contributing. Just because I was pointed with you doesn't mean I don't appreciate your efforts. I hope to meet you face to face one day and see your car. It sounds fantastic.

Also, our primary supplier for my business is in Livermore....so you never know. We might even meet someday!

Best wishes to you my fellow enthusiast.