• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 S-14 Conversion

pkuchay

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guys at Sports Car Restoration have jumped into my suspension and brake upgrades this week. The following is the work list for this week:

- IE fixed camber plates

- IE stage two springs

- Bilstein shocks (already in on the last round of upgrades)

- IE front and rear sway bar kits

- Replace ball joints

- Replace all suspension bushings with new Urethane bushings

- Add rear Massive set up (joins the 750MC and Massive front set up)

Last week we dropped in the seats and steering wheel. So, this will complete most of what we wanted to accomplish prior to the S14 conversion. We intend to drop the engine and transmission in later this year and then a respray next year. I have added some photo's of the suspension work in the below link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/P.kuchay/M2

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

Dude did you get lucky. Couldn't imagine a cleaner, more original starting point...I feel like an impatient dunce now:).

Wendell

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Dude did you get lucky. Couldn't imagine a cleaner, more original starting point...I feel like an impatient dunce now:).

Wendell

Don't get down on yourself too much Wendell. We got lucky and found a car that was actually better than we thought, body wise.......suspension.......275,000 miles and it felt like it! We are re-doing everything.

I added some pictures to the album tonight....the rear Massive set up is really impressive. I will be picking the car up tomorrow.

Very nice!

I like white cars!

You may consider alpha n fuel management and a cf airbox, although I know you said it's going to be a stage 1 setup.

Also I might suggest a 4.10 diff rather than a 3.90, if you are running an OD 5 sp.

Do reinforce the front subframe while you're in there (I'm sure Matt will mention/do this).

My only real regret on mine currently is not installing a/c!

A pic of mine from the front, maybe you'll change your mind and install the fragile bumper! ;-)

Other unsorted pics here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v355/raykoke/?start=all

IMGP1185.jpg

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Very nice!

I like white cars!

You may consider alpha n fuel management and a cf airbox, although I know you said it's going to be a stage 1 setup.

Also I might suggest a 4.10 diff rather than a 3.90, if you are running an OD 5 sp.

Do reinforce the front subframe while you're in there (I'm sure Matt will mention/do this).

My only real regret on mine currently is not installing a/c!

A pic of mine from the front, maybe you'll change your mind and install the fragile bumper! ;-)

Other unsorted pics here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v355/raykoke/?start=all

IMGP1185.jpg

Cheers,

Ray

Awesome car Ray. Your car was the one that prompted me to persue a white car. The picture at the marina is in my Piscaso account and was sucked into my computer from the M2 web page. It was our reference to start the project with. Thanks for the inspiration!!! Matt had an S-14 conversion going on here back in May, combine the two and there you go!

Awesome car Ray. Your car was the one that prompted me to persue a white car. The picture at the marina is in my Piscaso account and was sucked into my computer from the M2 web page. It was our reference to start the project with. Thanks for the inspiration!!! Matt had an S-14 conversion going on here back in May, combine the two and there you go!

Thanks Paul! I had no idea I was being a bad influence again! ;-)

Interesting to view your gallery -- almost like i am looking at my car. Tho mine is just running Bilsteins and ST sways and bars. I'd be interested to drive a car with Ireland's setup and compare -- mine will probably feel soft by comparison.

I see you have the ebrake calipers on also. Mine may be on by now, I need to schedule a trip back and see.

Your ///M badge is too big! You need one this size! ;-) (old pic with old exhaust and unrepaired rear pan)

DSC00011.jpg

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks Paul! I had no idea I was being a bad influence again! ;-)

Interesting to view your gallery -- almost like i am looking at my car. Tho mine is just running Bilsteins and ST sways and bars. I'd be interested to drive a car with Ireland's setup and compare -- mine will probably feel soft by comparison.

I see you have the ebrake calipers on also. Mine may be on by now, I need to schedule a trip back and see.

Your ///M badge is too big! You need one this size! ;-) (old pic with old exhaust and unrepaired rear pan)

DSC00011.jpg

Cheers,

Ray

Ray,

I'd like to talk with you about the performance of your car and the mods to the 2.3 that you did. Can you send me an email address or phone number?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

All,

I have added some photo's to my Piscaso gallery to show the most recent upgrades. The following is done:

- suspension

- brakes

- Replaced all bushings with Urethane

- Seats and steering wheel

We are chasing a couple of irritating issues, a little rubbing from the Ebrake and an urge to pull to the right under braking (maybe steering box, or tie rod)

I am very happy with the car so far. It's a pleasure to run around in. I can't wait for another 100 HP.

Also, I changed the gallery by renaming the gallery, M2 verses M02.

which airdam have you used on this car? i noticed you don't have flares, i like the look of the airdam without flares, but i've heard that some airdams need flares otherwise they're too wide for the car. looking good!

Brent May - Swinburne Uni

1974 2002 Resto:

IE 10.5:1 Pistons, IE header, IE urethane bits, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Whiteline Swaybars, 45DCOE Webers, 304 cam..

16082007263.jpg

which airdam have you used on this car? i noticed you don't have flares, i like the look of the airdam without flares, but i've heard that some airdams need flares otherwise they're too wide for the car. looking good!

That's a really good question. Believe it or not Matt had this one on the shelf at his facility. Someone had mounted it on a project car and didn't like it. So I asked Matt to put it on my car. I'll ask him tomorrow, he's off on Mondays.

That's a really good question. Believe it or not Matt had this one on the shelf at his facility. Someone had mounted it on a project car and didn't like it. So I asked Matt to put it on my car. I'll ask him tomorrow, he's off on Mondays.