• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 S-14 Conversion

pkuchay

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ebrake plate chatter ended the install of the ebrake calipers. Everything else so far has been a dream come true. The car is tight, rides well on the highway and can stop on half a dime......I was at Lime Rock today watching John Forte campaign a GT3 SCCA prepped 2002 and I had more brake than he did! Unfortunately for him, one of his rocker arms gave up during lap six or so.

Great day to spectate the SCCA regional event at Lime Rock today. Paul Newman gave Barbara Walters a hot lap in his GT1 prepped Camaro. It was pretty funny to see her get pulled out of the car! She was ear to ear grins.

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

Thanks for the kind words Rick.

We are going to rig something up I'm just not sure what it is. Just because I had chatter doesn't mean the ebrake set up isn't good. We were trying to stuff a ton of tire underneath the wheel well. So give Massive Brakes a shot first and then go from there.

Thanks for the kind words Rick.

We are going to rig something up I'm just not sure what it is. Just because I had chatter doesn't mean the ebrake set up isn't good. We were trying to stuff a ton of tire underneath the wheel well. So give Massive Brakes a shot first and then go from there.

Hi pkuchay. I will see with Matt how I can help him and you. Can you describe that "chatter". If it is the spot caliper being "loose" on its rail, then a thin layer of aluminum sticky foil (such as exhaust aluminum foil or the type used to protect balancing weights on wheels) will dampen the vibrations (if it is the p;roblem) and stabilize the spot caliper. Anyway, I will give Matt a call today. I wasn't aware of any glitch until a few minutes ago. I will let everyone know what we did. Anyone has Matt's shop phone #?

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Matt's shop number is 860-621-2002.....go figure!

Let's close the loop tomorrow Lee. We'll go through what the issues are and if you can make some recommendations it would be appreciated.

Paul

It looks like grooves in the spot calipers in which the rails slide in are smaller at one end. The rails are perfect for the smaller grooves, but a bit loose for the larger end, which is why the spot caliper is loose. The solution could be to use some thin sheets of teflon or aluminum (very thin) and wrap them around the rail. Then use a thin square file and "straighten" the grooves. This should hold the spot calipers more firmly and even offer a tiny bit of resistance in the sliding. I will confirm with Matt McGinn. He mentionned that the noise was very minor and that Paul indeed got bothered by it... on a 500 miles journey. anyway, I will do some testing to overcome that annoyance.

shims-spot.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

I did something exactly like this using HVAC Foil Duck tape from my local home improvement store. The car hasn't been road tested yet, but it seem to solve the looseness in the caliper. I was a bit afraid since it would probably want to rotate radially without tthe tape. I used 3 layers i believe of the tape.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I checked with Matt and it looks like we will begin the S-14 conversion in November with a completion date of sometime in December. The engine I purchased was owned by a German Performance Car shop. He produced receipts and pictures of a complete top end rebuild along with an Evo 2 flywheel, new clutch, H2O pump and a bunch of other things. It was about $4,000 in parts that went into the engine.

When I drove the E-30 M3 that it was installed in I was very impressed with the engine, acceleration, exhaust note and just the raw snarl of the engine. This should be a lot of fun.

More photo's soon.

• 1 month later...

Ugly white car!

;-)

... You might have Matt remove the air intake snorkel next time it is convenient. One day mine will come out too.

Cheers,

Ray

All:

We have added some pics in our Picaso gallery......

http://picasaweb.google.com/P.kuchay/M2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The intake and engine management system will be a bit of a tweak and I'll leave it at that until we're done, dialed in and happy with it.

Yeah, I know, ugly white car! Jim has much of the new tan interior in place. I wasn't big on blue so the color change really caught my eye. They still have a lot of work in front of them but I like what I see so far!