• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 S-14 Conversion

pkuchay

I was mostly talking about the bit of sheet metal on the right side of the radiator, that was part of the original cold air intake. Not sure if I'd communicated that clearly :-)

Looking forward to your report on the first drive with the big motor! What diff are u running again? I'll suggest a 4.10 although the motor will be spinning a bit on the highway! (edit: oh, I said that already! :-D )

Cheers,

Ray

The intake and engine management system will be a bit of a tweak and I'll leave it at that until we're done, dialed in and happy with it.

Yeah, I know, ugly white car! Jim has much of the new tan interior in place. I wasn't big on blue so the color change really caught my eye. They still have a lot of work in front of them but I like what I see so far!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Ray!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I stopped by Matt's shop at lunch on Friday and Jim was custom fabricating an oil pan extension.....amazing work. I should end up with 7 qts with baffling and crank splash. Maybe when he's done with the transmission tunnel he'll go back and clean the other stuff up.

I'm just like a kid at Christmas waiting for this but I don't want to get my hopes up too high and then be disappointed. We are planning a 3.91 rear end because most of my driving is highway. I think 4.10 would be a little to high for me although that would really work well at the track.....ah, compromises.

We are getting our second winter storm of the season as I type this. Crap.....crap. There is enough salt on the roads right now to keep the Food Network going for a decade! We'll see, maybe we can get some rain at the end of this storm.

Have you modified your engine management system at all? We are looking at Megasquirt.

Paul

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

Hey Paul,

Best Holiday Wishes back at ya'll!

Mars's site will let you calculate the difference at highway speeds, 3.90 final drive compared to 4.10. At 75mph the results are 3500 vs. 3700rpm ...

http://www.marsmann.com/2002tii/gear.htm

(do the 4.10... do the 4.10... do the 4.10... ) :-D

I'm running alpha n and a custom chip that uses the internal fqs in the ecu to shift the ignition advance -- we ended up with 1.5 degrees more advance than stock showing a bit of gain on the dyno.

Alpha n eliminates the AFM and does not use an MAF.

You can get a custom chip burned if u want, hunt around on http://board.s14power.com/ re that, although mine was not custom to that extent. Also that board runs the cf airbox and alpha n group buys.

Also running a WB02 from Innovate, LC-1 system. Heres a pic of my unmounted console with the WB02 gauge...

Cheers,

Ray

IMG_0014.jpg

Hey Ray!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I stopped by Matt's shop at lunch on Friday and Jim was custom fabricating an oil pan extension.....amazing work. I should end up with 7 qts with baffling and crank splash. Maybe when he's done with the transmission tunnel he'll go back and clean the other stuff up.

I'm just like a kid at Christmas waiting for this but I don't want to get my hopes up too high and then be disappointed. We are planning a 3.91 rear end because most of my driving is highway. I think 4.10 would be a little to high for me although that would really work well at the track.....ah, compromises.

We are getting our second winter storm of the season as I type this. Crap.....crap. There is enough salt on the roads right now to keep the Food Network going for a decade! We'll see, maybe we can get some rain at the end of this storm.

Have you modified your engine management system at all? We are looking at Megasquirt.

Paul

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

http://picasaweb.google.com/P.kuchay/M2

Some updated pictures at the end of the album. Since the guys started on the interior we opted to do the car stereo side of the project now. Here is a list of components that are going into the car stereo:

- Alpine CDA-9887 head unit with EQ

- McIntosh MCC204 (50 x 4) amp for front the rears

- McIntosh MC301 (300 x 1) amp for the sub woofers

- Dynaudio MK-240 up front and MK-220 in rears

- JL Audio 8W3 subs in a custom enclosure under rear seat (4 of them)

This will add a bit of weight to the car but this wasn't a track car, it's daily driver with a lot of luxury added to the car, AC as well as this stereo. I'll take some additional pictures in the next week or so.

The guys at SCR are doing their usual fantastic work on my car. Jim fabricated a custom made oil pan that is incredible. The crew at Sports Car Restoration set the bar for fabrication skills and imagination. Quite simply, there is no better shop to do business with. I am so fortunate to have them in my back yard.....I'm sure they would argue that point, but I try to bring beer on Fridays when I can!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/P.kuchay/M2

Some updated pictures at the end of the album. Since the guys started on the interior we opted to do the car stereo side of the project now. Here is a list of components that are going into the car stereo:

- Alpine CDA-9887 head unit with EQ

- McIntosh MCC204 (50 x 4) amp for front the rears

- McIntosh MC301 (300 x 1) amp for the sub woofers

- Dynaudio MK-240 up front and MK-220 in rears

- JL Audio 8W3 subs in a custom enclosure under rear seat (4 of them)

This will add a bit of weight to the car but this wasn't a track car, it's daily driver with a lot of luxury added to the car, AC as well as this stereo. I'll take some additional pictures in the next week or so.

The guys at SCR are doing their usual fantastic work on my car. Jim fabricated a custom made oil pan that is incredible. The crew at Sports Car Restoration set the bar for fabrication skills and imagination. Quite simply, there is no better shop to do business with. I am so fortunate to have them in my back yard.....I'm sure they would argue that point, but I try to bring beer on Fridays when I can!!

• 1 month later...
Great looking set of cars Cris! I'll be in Livermore if you feel like showing off your 02!

Nice job!

Paul

When are you coming out?

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Great looking set of cars Cris! I'll be in Livermore if you feel like showing off your 02!

Nice job!

Paul

When are you coming out?

Cris

I'll be out the second half of the first week of April. Like the 2 - 5 or so. I haven't decided if I am going to stay out there for a Saturday or not yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First Driving Impressions:

I had a chance to drive the car today for the first time......wow......holy cow! What a great engine / chassis combination. We ordered a limited slip diff from Dave @ Aardvarc as well as Maxx Alpha N. So, next week the guys at SCR will continue to tie up loose ends and continue to smooth out the rough areas. We are chasing some pretty significant vibration being transmitted through the car at 4,000 rpm and above. We are looking at the Urethane motor mounts and scratching our heads.

All in all........this car is really going to be a blast to drive. The steering tightened up and the car actually "feels" as opposed to being numb. Brakes.......OMG, Massive Brakes are just that, AWESOME! Thanks to Lee for pulling together such a great kit.

We have a BMWCCA driver education event coming up on April 11th at Lime Rock. I have registered my M2 for that event, so if anyone is local and actively looking at my blog please introduce yourself to me.

Also, I had a chance to test drive the new 135 yesterday at the dealership. The car I drove was an automatic and mine is coming in with a six speed. If you are in the market for a nimble two door coupe, drive this car. It's a rocket. The torque is available immediately. What a great car that's going to be.....very fast and a lot of fun to toss around. I highly encourage you guys to head to the dealers to see if they have one. BMW pushed a bunch of these cars out to the dealers within the last couple of days.

Cool!

Did u order the 4.10 or 3.90? (You know my preference!).

What diff is in it now?

I'm sure you will iron out the vibration issue. Is is in the shifter or...?

I'm running urethane on the driver side anyway. Have not looked at the passenger side recently.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray