• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 S-14 Conversion

pkuchay

Cool!

Did u order the 4.10 or 3.90? (You know my preference!).

What diff is in it now?

I'm sure you will iron out the vibration issue. Is is in the shifter or...?

I'm running urethane on the driver side anyway. Have not looked at the passenger side recently.

Cheers,

Ray

Hey Ray!

Since I drive almost all highway I ordered the taller one (I know you're disappointed). I am on a stock 3.64 differential now. So, the new diff will certainly help low end performance.

Good point on the shifter....I'll have the guys look at that. The rear view mirror wasn't much use during when the buzzing was at it's loudest. The diff and Alpha N should be in on Wednesday. Did you ever do Alpha N?

Paul

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed, I am running the cf box and alpha n! You will notice a torque improvement and better throttle response by ditching the afm!

Hope whoever is setting it up for you has some experience with programming these things. There is a table of target afr values on s14power...

Are u going to run a wbO2 gauge? Sorry, the answer may be above, I have not read thru your blog recently!

Um, read all this:

http://board.s14power.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

The cf box will bring a smile when you foot is in it, with the sound as well as improved power.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Indeed, I am running the cf box and alpha n! You will notice a torque improvement and better throttle response by ditching the afm!

Hope whoever is setting it up for you has some experience with programming these things. There is a table of target afr values on s14power...

Are u going to run a wbO2 gauge? Sorry, the answer may be above, I have not read thru your blog recently!

Um, read all this:

The cf box will bring a smile when you foot is in it, with the sound as well as improved power.

Cheers,

Ray

One of the technicians at SCR has significant experience with Alpha N, so, I will sound stupid if I try to answer your questions. We are looking at doing a custom intake with stacks. We'll see, I might bail on that and just go with the box. We'll see later this week.

Ooh, make sure the stacks are proven.

The cf box that John produces is being run on many S14's, along with his Maxx alpha n.

I'm not saying the custom intake is a bad idea, just that the r&d has been done on the cf box I have.

Cheers,

Ray

Um, read all this:

Cheers,

Ray

One of the technicians at SCR has significant experience with Alpha N, so, I will sound stupid if I try to answer your questions. We are looking at doing a custom intake with stacks. We'll see, I might bail on that and just go with the box. We'll see later this week.

Ray

Ooh, make sure the stacks are proven.

The cf box that John produces is being run on many S14's, along with his Maxx alpha n.

I'm not saying the custom intake is a bad idea, just that the r&d has been done on the cf box I have.

Cheers,

Ray

Um, read all this:

Cheers,

Ray

I can't register on that site so I can't read all the poop. However, I am starting to think that staying with proven stuff might be the best way to go. I drove the car again tonight.......wow, this is going to be a lot of fun. They changed some things here and there and the car calmed down a little.

Thanks for the help and guidance!

Paul

Go ahead and register when u have time, I think it's the best site for S14 tech details. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people contributing.

Not sure what is going on regarding why you are blocked from some parts of it. Silly internet forums! ;-)

Enjoy the car!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

This has been my first weekend with the car. To date we have about 200 miles on the car for road tests, set up, shake down, drag out and tweek.....so far so good. Note the brake dust on the front wheels in the most recent pictures added to my photo gallery as my brother and I started on the installation of all the stereo stuff.

My general impression of this car is great. The car accelerates, brakes and handles extremely well, actually, better than I expected. I am still experiencing tire rub of the left rear tire so I have ordered 195/50/15 SDrive Yoko's to replace the 205's that are there now. Next winter, when we do our re-spray, I'll have SCR notch the rear fender lips so I can squeeze the 205's back in. The other issue we are battling with is resonance between 3,700 rpm and 4,400. The car just plain resonates as it comes up on cam. We've gone back through everything and still can't make that go away. We think it might be due to the EVO 2 flywheel but you never know.

What's really neat to me about this type of project is that you can take a 35 year old car and turn it into a sleeper that just plain kicks butt! I am really looking forward to adding Alpha N and the upcoming drivers ed event at Lime Rock.

http://picasaweb.google.com/P.kuchay/M2

Hmmm. I'm running a light flywheel with no ill effects. I'm sure you'll track it down.

Fun, ain't they?

Cheers,

Ray

This has been my first weekend with the car. To date we have about 200 miles on the car for road tests, set up, shake down, drag out and tweek.....so far so good. Note the brake dust on the front wheels in the most recent pictures added to my photo gallery as my brother and I started on the installation of all the stereo stuff.

My general impression of this car is great. The car accelerates, brakes and handles extremely well, actually, better than I expected. I am still experiencing tire rub of the left rear tire so I have ordered 195/50/15 SDrive Yoko's to replace the 205's that are there now. Next winter, when we do our re-spray, I'll have SCR notch the rear fender lips so I can squeeze the 205's back in. The other issue we are battling with is resonance between 3,700 rpm and 4,400. The car just plain resonates as it comes up on cam. We've gone back through everything and still can't make that go away. We think it might be due to the EVO 2 flywheel but you never know.

What's really neat to me about this type of project is that you can take a 35 year old car and turn it into a sleeper that just plain kicks butt! I am really looking forward to adding Alpha N and the upcoming drivers ed event at Lime Rock.

http://picasaweb.google.com/P.kuchay/M2

Ray

I haven't had this much fun with my clothes on in a long time!

I had a 1971 Porsche 911E that I had set up in a similar way to this car except the engine was stock, but it had big brakes and a dialed up suspension. I'll take this little M2 over that car anytime, it feels very light and is has fantastic mid range and high end acceleration...it takes a set better and has more predictable handling characteristics...and I'm a stock 2.3 with a chip.

Now I'm really scratching my head about the resonance......we foam insulated the transmission tunnel (above the transmission between the car and the tranny), re-checked all of the mounts and redid the mounts on the exhaust to rubber. There just isn't much else to play with.

What type of motor mounts are you running? Exhaust? We are on a turbo muffler and resonator from the factory.

I'd be curious to know anything other ideas you might have.

Is the resonance there in neutral as well? I ran the turbo exhaust with my 2.3, no issues. Can u feel it in the shifter?

You might have to run it thru the gears on a lift to get a better idea.

You might ask on the S14 board.

... The shifters were buzzy if the bushings are worn but I don't expect that is your issue.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Hey there, Im new to this site. But im restoration a 2002 myself

So I was woundering where you bought your awsome breaks?

Both to the front and rear

Regards. Berg.

In his first post he mentions they are from Massive (the company name, not just a description ;D)

www.massivebrakes.com

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD