• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what can I steal from a '78 320i?

76Verona

I bought a wrecked (rear-ended) '78 320i. I basically bought it for the recaros and sport steering wheel. the car was very well maintained, rebuilt engine ect.. Besides the brake swap, what else should I salvage before I sell it for parts? I've heard I need volvo calipers or TII struts to use the front brakes, is this so? any info will be appreciated.

-mike

sometimes owning a 2002 can actually get you out of a speeding ticket( 2 and counting)

1976 2002

1978 320i (for parts)

1997 M3 sedan

check for LS Differential, too.

pull the 1/2 shafts for LSD conversion at a later date.

keep the front section of the driveshaft for 5 spd conversion inorder to weld forward end to 02 driveshaft.

of course check the tranny and keep if 5 spd.

that year front hubs will need tii struts.

deskin the rear seat covers to match your new fronts.

hold on to the engine if you have the space. and the radiator, alternator.

did i miss anything?

some folks pull the sunvisors and rear view mirror and if you are lucky the door mirrors are the metal flag-type as used on 02s.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

the pushbutton dash switches (for your '02 console), various relays (they inerchange with those on your '02) and the delay wiper relay in case you want to add that feature to your '02...I'm sure there are more things; those just come to mind right away.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Possibly some of the injection stuff for Megasquirt

It may have the smaller Bosch starter if it was replaced

Radiator

Larger alternator with some modifications

Front wheel hubs for Volvo brake upgrade (i think)

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

The below works for early '77-'79 e21 320i's, the later cars '80-'83 have a similar but different list of stuff to swap into 2002's and 1600's.

1. Smog air pump, air pump diverter valve, check valve, pipes, hoses, exhaust manifold: either '49 state cast iron (best) or thermal reactor, magnetic vacuum switching valves, and lots of other smog equipment can be used and sold to california '76 2002 owners.

2. The front wheel bearing hubs are of the large bearing type used when building a vented front brake kit for TII struts.

3. Rear brakes are 250mm and can be swapped in place of the 2002's 230mm drums. Only in conjunction with a front brake upgrade...

4. The brake master cylinder can be used to replace early '02 single line master cylinders, '68 through mid '69.

5. Wheels: the 320i 13x5.5 et18 wheels will fit most 2002's without rubbing using either 185/70-13 or a tighter fit 205/60-13 tires.

6. Seats, the recaros and the standard front seats fit and the rear seat material can be swapped on to the '02 frames and padding.

7. I have heard that the e21 320i trailing arms can swap into '02's when doing a rear coilover setup. Is this true????

8. Rear differential, either standard open or

limited slip (LSD), 3:64 or 3:90 can be swapped into '02's with a little fuss.

9. Various relays and switches: especially the intermittent wiper relay and collum switch for '74-76 02's.

10. The radiator can be used with modified mounts. Many of the front engine coolant hoses and the t-stat too.

11. There's a water pipe in the hose that goes from the switch housing to the thermostat (t-stat) that many have used to mount electric fan switches.

12. Four speed transmissions swap in with only an extension of the reverse light wires and adaption of the 320i clutch slave cylinder and hose.

13. Window crank and inside door release handles aren't restoration correct but work just fine in a pinch.

14. parking brake, shift boots, knobs....

15. steering wheels can have the turn signal cancel cam and horn contacts modified for use in 02's.

16. the motor is a 2.0 liter and can easily be used in an '02 sans the garbage CIS K-Jetronic fuel injection.

17. the intake manifold has the look of Tii and has been used in many Megasquirt fuel injection conversions.

O.K., I know I missed stuff but if you know what then please speak up.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20