• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counter-clockwise for timing advance?

jlandreth

i had this exact same question on my way to work this morning with my recently 'returned-to-service' 02.

all i can offer is an intuitive answer since the distributer rotates clockwise, rotating it counter-clockwise would engage the lobes on the shaft sooner wrt the plastic contact surface on the points, right???

that's my thinking on the subject, anyway.

additionally, anyone know what direction i need to rotate distributer to minimize/eliminate backfiring when letting off the throttle or downshifting?

i used a timing light but was unable to see small ball bearing. what i did see was a scribed line that had been painted red. it's a 76 btw, with a factory replacement engine (no VIN on block).

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

counter-clockwise to advance. just look at spark plug wires, and the firing order. 1-3-4-2, and think of the rotor spinning to hit them in that order. spin it so that it hits the 1-3-4-2 quicker.

I just noticed the other day, there's actually an arrow on my distributor, which points which way the firing order goes (clockwise). turn it in the direction of the arrow to retard it, against to advance it. maybe thats the purpose of the arrow, or maybe not. but it seems weird.

according to a write-up on webers, rotate it counter-clockwise to advance the timing and get it to quit spitting out the intake during deceleration.

edited: cuz i r dumb, and should not post while at work.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I don't know gentlemen.Counter-clockwise seems to raise my idle speed slightly (I only turned it about an eighth of an inch),so I'm guessing I'm advancing it.Hey,even the Macartney book contradicts itself on page 167.The car runs great ,but I'm just trying to improve it a bit.

You could be right, I just did a search, and some people have said counterclockwise.

I usually get confused as well, so everytime I do it, I just look at the plug wires and the firing order. The rotor is spinning so it should hit 1 then 3 then 4 then 2. Spin it so you make it hit #1 sooner. Thats all there is. I'd walk out to my car right now to tell you for certain, but I'm on my way home, and have no net access at home.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser