• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

still no spark: 76 02 ignition help needed

jerry

as a follow up to yesterday's plea for help, i replaced the distributer with another used unit which still had the small grounding wire intact.

i removed smog wires.

i installed one wire from No.12 to (-) side of coil (terminal 1 on the Bosch blue coil)

i installed the black wire that comes from the OEM harness to the (-) side of coil.

i installed one wire from the (+) side of coil (terminal 15) to the solenoid valve on the weber carb.

after turning the ignition several times and not even getting a cough i inspected the distributer to notice that the plastic on the small wire between the points and the condenser has melted.

distributer installed with the rotor pointing to the notch on its housing, camshaft notch in line with oil tube rod on head. spark plug wires installed in accordance to firing order on valve cover in clockwise rotation. condenser is new. point gap is 0.016in

it is a Bosch blue coil with no external resister or starter relay installed.

what am i missing? comparing the starter relay and external resistor on my '73 indicates colored wires that don't exist on this 76, ie grn-red etc.

this is driving me crazy.

i've got battery ground from engine block to neg terminal on battery with a smaller braided ground wire attaching to area adjacent to the relays above battery, with the harness grounds too.

thanks in advance

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

check the easy stuff first. make sure the nipple in the bottom of the dist cap is good. Take a meter and make sure that the rotor is good...

just compared the new rotor with a used one and the resistance on both was about 5ohms

the distributor cap, although used is in very nice condition. carbon nipple is fine.

i think the key is determining why the small wire between the points and condenser is heating up.

& 1 special alfa

points/condenser connects @#1 coil. These 2 wires should make the ignition spark. Use a digital voltage meter to test the wires if you want to know whats going on.

BINGO. YOU ARE MY HERO.......

it started right up.

it's purring as i type.

gonna take it for a ride right now!!!!!!!!!!

& 1 special alfa