• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 BMW 2002 How to sell?

rsteven2

I've owned a 1970 BMW 2002 since 1971. It's been parked for 10 yrs and I need to sell it. It has a salvage title after hitting a dog, no major damage but insurance didn't want to repair it. The head is off but it's a Korman Stage 2 with a Schrick 304 cam, larger valves, etc. I have one pr. of Weber DCOE 45s and one pr. 40s plus many Weber parts, Stahl header, racing steering box, essentially new flywheel and Sachs HD clutch, a pr. of 13x6 Cromadora magnesium wheels (Dino style), four 15x6 BBS wheels, four 13x6 Rial wheels, four original wheels, a 13" Momo steering wheel, Miller & Norburn springs and sway bars, Bilstein shocks, Jacobs ignition, a limited slip diff. that I never installed, Korman quick shift kit, reupholstered rear seat, Schroth racing harness, SuperTrapp 5" muffler, upper & lower camber plates, original Chamonix paint, etc., etc.

My questions are how should this be sold; as a unit or parted out and what the value might be? I'm completely lost and out of touch.

I appreciate your help,

Steve R.

The WHERE I don't have a problem with, it's the HOW. I've seen such a range in price for cars in various condition and since I haven't sold anything like this before I'm trying to figure out if selling it piecemeal or all together is better. It has some, what I think, are unique/rare parts, e.g. a 12.8:1 ratio steering box. I don't see them listed anywhere, but I could be just blind.

Thanks for your advice,

Steve

It sounds to me like it's worth more in parts than all together. If you want to put in the time, you could get good money for all the things separately or lees for it as a whole but then it would be gone and out of your life.....

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I am also interested either way, parts or whole. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at just the steering box value on ebay, salvage title history really hurts the car as a whole. smallfastforeign@aol.com

Best Regards, "Z"

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Well, the consensus appears to be to part it out. I personally consider it a project car at this point, if I were to sell it as a unit. At 37.5 yrs old, original paint isn't necessarily a good thing. There is some minor rust around the rocker panels but nothing around strut towers, etc. I never should have used a hydraulic floor jack to get more room for my new D70's in the early 70's, etc. I am just too old(?), tired(!) an unable to sink the kind of money into this that it would really take to make it the 300H.P. monster I had intended when I parked it. Not to mention the HOA rules I'm constricted by (wife is president, can't cheat). I do appreciate Jerry's sage advice and will be e-mailing those that requested it so I can get a list of what to pull first. Fortunately, a lot of the good stuff is already loose.

Have members found that eBay provides the largest potential sale amount? I do realize that my job is to get as many $ as I can and buyer's job is to spend the least. Hopefully, we can come to a proper compromise.

Thank you all for your assistance and advice.

Steve

Steve, ebay can be a crap shoot but, I think you will still realize the best profit potential there. Not every 02 enthusiast is a member of this forum (though they should be.) I will be bidding on some of your goodies as I suppose other members will be as well. It is a lot of work parting one out there and you will be inundated with parts requests from all over the world. QR steering boxes in good condition usually bring a tidy sum!

Best Regards, "Z" smallfastforeign@aol.com

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt