• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the actual shifters on early and late 2002s the same?

blue7500

yes, they're almost the same. Earlier cars have chrome plated levers (the part you see inside the car that the knob screws to) while later cars (all squarellights, perhaps?) have black ones. Physically they interchange, only the finish is different.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My 74, owned from new has a chrome shifter.

Earl

74 02Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

02 BMW M Roadster

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

My 74, owned from new has a chrome shifter.

Earl

74 02Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

02 BMW M Roadster

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Guest Anonymous
yes, they're almost the same. Earlier cars have chrome plated levers (the part you see inside the car that the knob screws to) while later cars (all squarellights, perhaps?) have black ones. Physically they interchange, only the finish is different.

mike

Just to clarify, as I'm sure you know this Mike... Part #10 in the lower diagram is different, however. The lever as assembled in the car appears to be one piece (including both 10+11 and the bushing in between) and the lower portions are not the same. The early version has replaceable top hat shaped bushings and the later version has a 1 piece plastic sleeve that is more-or-less permanently bonded to the metal.