• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other BMW drivers vs the 02

future_assassin

This is continued from a post a few months back. I find it really strange that maybe 5% of BMW drivers actually look at my car when I drive by Even in slow traffic when we're side by side.

I've driven by old E21/E28/E23 series models which looked like the drivers might actually be an enthusiast (the shape/condition of the car) and not one look or eye contact.

I drive by a lot of three series (E30) that are a little done out/lowered driven by younger guys and no one ever looks.

I did have a guy and his buddy give me the thumbs up in a convertible E30 but thats only because he use to own a 02 (chatted at a red light).

Now for other non BMW drivers on the road about 35-40% percent smile, honk , roll down the window to chat or give me the thumbs up when they see the car.

Hot rod drivers on the other hand are worse then BMW drivers. Not even a look when at a red light side by side.

The most looks I noticed come from pedestrians and Volkswagen drivers.

bmw2002.ca - Want a powered by Gmail you@bmw2002.ca e-mail? Contact me for a free account.

iRoxy.ca Canadian small business web hosting services

I get at least one "thumbs-up" a day, but usually not from BMW's. This town is full of late model BMWs. When I see a M3 coming, I get ready for some recognition, only to find out it is being driven by some older woman, or a young college age pony-tail blond girl with a baseball hat on, talking on her cell phone, totally oblivious to anything going on around her.

I go way back to the years when almost all BMW's waved at one another. Now, the only wave I get is from other 02's or an occasional MG or Alfa. Fortunately, we still have quite a few 02's around here. I see a couple a week.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

That's funny, because I've felt exactly the opposite. I bought my 02 last fall and have been surprised by the amount of attention it gets. Especially since its a fairly unremarkable Nevada in color (well actually two different shades of Nevada).

I watched a guy in a new five series really work his way through rush hour traffic the other morning to give me a thumbs up. A guy in a 7 series rolled down his window at a stop light to ask me a bunch of questions about the car. (The 7 was his 1st BMW). And I got a thumbs up from a guy in a Mustang convertible this morning. Street Rod guys aren't impressed with anything without a chevy 350 in it in my experience so I wouldn't put too much importance in that. But the guys in classic Porsches, triumphs, etc all seem to notice and a few in the sport compact crowd too (even though it sports no fake carbon fiber or giant ass wing).

You want real attention - I've got a Scion xB wrapped in an electric blue and neon green advertising banner. EVERYONE looks at that thing. Of course that's the point.

I see a couple a week.

I see none here in Surrey except at Als' shop and I saw one in Langley which if for sale and was mentioned on here. Other wise I could drive all over the lower mainland and not see one for weeks.

bmw2002.ca - Want a powered by Gmail you@bmw2002.ca e-mail? Contact me for a free account.

iRoxy.ca Canadian small business web hosting services

I have a new next door neighbor that has an e39 528 that says the 02 looks nice but it's the 66 red coupe mustang that caught his eye.

The DC area is full of late model Bimmers and they don't seem to impressed. I get more stares and questions when I have the rear sunroof open on the 94 530iT from guys.

I will say this, older car guys dig the car and all the chicks, young ones not so young ones and the older...ok old as me chicks. All the kids in the neighborhood dig the car. The coolest thing was when a little girl no more than 7 screamed at me 'hey Mister COOL Car'.

Here In Seattle It's more of the same, mabey worse. I find many BMW drivers re-enforceing the negative stereotypes. We are a breed apart from them, Most of THEM drive like assholes and use a turn signals just about as often as they turn a wrench. To a lot of them, BMW is merely a status symbol. I only get a wave or a thumb-up from raced out, early model, 3 series' or mini cooper drivers. If I only had a dollar for every rich lady talking on her cell phone, doing 55 in the fast lane -in her shinny 330i.

-cheers

mike

sometimes owning a 2002 can actually get you out of a speeding ticket( 2 and counting)

1976 2002

1978 320i (for parts)

1997 M3 sedan

My first car car back in 1982 was a red 1966 MGB with original knock-offs and new paint. Talk about recognition! My next car was a 1979 Triumph Spitfire. Same result. I have had an eclectic blend of cars from these to an International Scout (that stayed topless 95% of the time) to most recently an e21 and Inga and Max. But, I got more thumbs up in a Scout that was half primer and half green with ratty seats and a lotta rust than I ever got in either of my convertibles.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

it feels pretty rare when someone actually recognizes anything with individuality/character these days, let alone an 02. In a few months i've only had a couple of experiences where someone's awknowledged or given a thumbs up to my charmonix 72.

But then again every few days some kind of new scion box feels like it has to overtake me in crowded traffic and last night i had a tangle with a new corvette up in the hills.

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

I get waves only from other 02's or the occasional Alfa or MG. I've got a few from people in rental cars lately. Once I had a group of kids jump up & down & clap their hands for me as I drove by. I think they did that because the street in front of the ghetto apt I was living in had been graded and was all gravel. When I saw that, I went for it and came around the corner opposite lock in a cloud of dust. They shouted "do it again!" so I came around again and put on a good show. Needles to say the parents were not amused.

2 tone 70 02-green & rust.

Too much other junk to list

I get lots of looks in the cabrio. Folks want to know how old it is etc. When I had an M2 Mustangs just wanted to race it.

Yeah, I find that strange....they always ask what year it is..I guess they really don't know what to say, just making conversation, but obviously appreciating the car. Of course, being INKA in a grey world makes you stand out.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

It seems to me, a vast number of newer BMW drivers are yuppies searching for status. Not as many are actual sports car enthusiasts. I don't usually even notice newer BMW's, and when I do, it's typically because they just swerved into my lane while yammering away on their cell phone.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

It may be because I live in Parksville where lots of seniors live but I get thumbs up from other BMW drivers. Lots of recognition and admiration across the board despite my car needing plenty of work.

I just bought my 02 a month or so ago from a family in Maple Ridge. Other than one I saw on the ferry a couple years ago, I haven't seen another on the Island or Lower Mainland in person. Seem to be super rare here.

72 Sahara