• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

touring owners: I have a question

inkatouring

the warning light (for emergency brakes on USA cars) on your touring? what lights it up? I am particularly interested in non-tii tourings, such as mine. The light won't go off, and I suspect it is a low fuel lead that is not being used now (long story -- part of the fuel injection conversion). So, what functions does that light serve for you? Is one of the functions a low fuel warning?

TIA

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

See below diagrams for a non Tii touring (courtesy of Les Cartwright)

Looks like in addition to the emergency brake there is a low fuel warning that goes to that bulb and also, something I have never ever seen before on an 02, a choke light, probably originally intended to show that the electric choke was still on

Hope this helps

Wiring Diagram

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Key

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I pulled a choke cable off a Touring in a European junkyard that has an internal switch/terminal that is obviously for a "choke on" warning light. Those were never fitted on USA cars, so it's possible that your car may have this. Check the knob end of the cable, just behind the mounting point on the steering column. If you see a wire coming off a terminal on the cable, that may be the source of the dash light...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I pulled a choke cable off a Touring in a European junkyard that has an internal switch/terminal that is obviously for a "choke on" warning light. Those were never fitted on USA cars, so it's possible that your car may have this. Check the knob end of the cable, just behind the mounting point on the steering column. If you see a wire coming off a terminal on the cable, that may be the source of the dash light...

mike

I do have a choke warning light, but it is not connected. Apparently, I also have a low fuel warning light. I use neither because of the change to injection.

The question is: so I ground both of these to turn off the light?

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Mine has: Handbrake on, Low Brake Fluid Function, Mech Choke activated, and low fuel light. (all on the same warning light) I have never seen low fuel yet although I know it is wired for it. Usually 10 gal fill ups. I know the Handbrake, choke and the low brake fluid function work. ( I use the brake and choke daily, and I have a slight fluid leak, probably clutch master) I would guess in your case, that the lo fuel wire might be grounding out on something. good luck,

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours