• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know if the Heater Fan can be oiled w/o removal?

bmw_jeff

My heater box and fan work fine, but the fan is noisy/squeaky. Is there any place I can get access to drop some oil on the fan assembly without removing the box/dash etc? Wish I had remembered to look more closely when I had the console apart last time doh! Thanks,

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

blower motors and I'll send you a copy. The upper bearing is easy to reach, the lower one, not so easy. But there are ways...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes it can be done. I did it on my 76 and it stopped the noise and made it run well. The trick is to use a guide wire, some thing stiff like a metal clothes hanger works well. Aim the end of the wire at the top of the fan and drip the oil down the wire. I would recommend not using too much oil at first and let it soak in before turning the fan back on. If you use too much you will get an oil smell in the car for a while.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

Very good tips, thanks everyone! I'll give the wire trick a try this weekend.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600