• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Sad day....

evanc

on the topic of personal safety, I notice you have 3-point belts that seem to be anchored at the rear bulkhead (no rollbar in your car that I can see)

I've heard bad things about this set-up during accidents such as the one you were in. I take it you fared okay though. Any comment on the belts?

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Sorry Evan. I am glad you are OK though. I know how it feels when I come to a sudden stop..its like " GOD Please don't hit me!" I am sure you'll work it out and your beautiful roundie will be back on the road as others said.

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

So sorry for what you are going through. As all ready noted, there was an accident. You walked away as I hope everyone else did. That is what matters here. You can unbend the metal, albeit with great hassle. Evan, I cannot wait to see pics of your newly restored car. So, on a brighter note, what mods are you planning?

May I suggest that you try www.rallylights.com for the Valeo (model #00.605.255) 3rd brake light. It was very simple to install and not a lot of money as I recall. No driver under the age of 50 today is programmed to look for anything in brake lights but the big, high, center one. I love the roundies but our lights are small and just disappear. My 72 has brand new tail light assemblies, bulbs, wire and after following me one day my wife said that the factory brake/turn signal lights about disappear. It doesn't look great or period but I love that big third light.

I was on that stretch of road in early August in a rental float and I was paying attention, big time. Fun road with no traffic, but I doubt that ever happen there any longer?

I used....

Automobile Appraisal Association

San Francisco, CA 94118

(415) 386-9100

When I got in an accident in my '66 1600-2 a few years back and they did a fine job. The appraisal came out more than the cost of repairs and I got a nice check (that subsequently had to be used for other things and the car is still waiting for its time at the body shop).

Stand your ground with the insurance company, DO NOT accept a salvage title! It is your right to have the car independently appraised and there is no reason the insurance company should not accept it.

Good luck in your endeavors in getting all straight again!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Sorry Evan,

Talk to Matt McGinn - wrong coast but he recently posted up on the FAQ looking to compile a book of cars that have been sold or appraised for LOTS of money. He may be able to help you out with a referral or at least some materials to aid in the appraisal.

You're lucky in that you have TONS of shops out there that can do the work.

Sorry to hear about the accident tho - too bad.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Evan,

I was freaked out from your freeway-side phone call yesterday. I am just glad that you are OK.

DID YOU GET YOURSELF TO THE DOCTOR YET????

Make sure you mention that it was an MVA and they will start the proper paperwork for you. Because YOU were hit by the other party, you are entitled to pain and suffering compensation. This should cover any medical expenses- Dr, Chiropractor, Massage, etc...

Have you made a claim against the other part's insurance company yet? I would start that route, rather than making the claim through your own insurance and having them subbrogate it back to the other company. If the other company starts to stall, then you can get your insurance involved. While the claim should NOT have any effect on your record with your insurance, I am not always so sure. I believe they do look at it in some form or another, regardless if you were at fault or who had to pay.

You are also entitled to compensation for the property damage. Your job is to prove the value of your vehicle and not to settle until you feel you are being fairly compensated. You are fortunate that your car has been documented with the Euro tour and all. Break out that box of momentos and get ready to send the other insurance company a 45 page fax. If they still balk, double it.

At least you have another car to drive, but actually the other insurance should compensate you for loss of use as well. Had that been your only car, they would have been forced to provide you with a rental until your claim was settled.

I believe time is on your side here. The other party's insurance will want to pay off this claim as quickly and cheaply as possible. If it takes longer, it costs them more money each day. If you can afford it, don't rush and settle for what YOU think is fair. If it takes too long, they will be forced to send it to arbitration.

Here is the appriaser that just did my car. He said he used to own an 02 back when he ran his body shop in Sunnyvale.

Bob Nolan, 925-383-7715.

I'll shoot this through email to you as well.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Thanks guys for all your comments and suggestions. They are totally appreciated and I will not accept an unacceptable offer from the Insurance Co. I haven't been in an accident in almost 20 years and all I remember of the experience was that it was a pain.

Thanks for asking about getting checked out Steve. I did go to the emergency room and got checked out. The accident was at 1:30 and I didn't get through with the hospital until 8:30. Long day. They have all the MVA paperwork on file now so at least if something does come up I've at least documented it.

I'll be calling the appraiser this afternoon to try and make arrangements.

I really really appreciate all of you helping me cover all of the loose ends that could hurt my case.

It just makes me sick to look at those photos.

I don't have Michael Dubois email or phone number so if anyone has those let me know. You can email me at revanchong AT Yahoo DOT com

Thanks again.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Project Thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339365/

Sorry about the smash-up. I would suggest being very detail-oriented, very thorough with your facts, figures, documentation, etc. When the other party's insurance co. is in a hurry to settle, make them wait. THey hate to have it drag out. They will try to push you around, but you are the injured party; they owe it to you to put everything right. Time to look out for number 1 in this situation.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I can see Evan's next class project- Letters to the insurance company.

Evan is teachin' these kids right!

Don't piss me off, I've got a classroom full of third graders and I'm not afraid to use them!

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes