• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas for a car related mancation for my dad's 60th

g_force

My dad turns 60 this year, and I want to take him on a long weekend trip to do something imminently cool and car related - something he'll remember forever.

My first thought was a Bondurant/Barber/Russell racing school, but the multi-day courses are way too expensive.

Some other ideas I'd had were:

(1) a pilgrimage to the Nurburgring - a bit expensive and a hell of a plane ride for a long weekend

(2) a trip to the Goodwood festival/revival - less expensive, but still hellish plane ride

(3) a trip to the Pebble Beach concourse/Montery Historics - I have to wait a whole nuther year

(4) rent a semi-exotic/cool car and drive a length of HWY 1 - we've done this before, albeit with the rest of my family and in a Chrysler Sebring

Any other thoughts?

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

You could do a California loop-

Fly into SFO and then back out of LAX.

In the SF area, you could check in with the guys over at Tesla Motors- they are putting together electric Lotus Elise's, then just down the street is Go-Kart racer- full race suit and helmets on an indoor track.

You could also look into what car club schools are going on at Sears Point or Laguna Seca and maybe mooch a hotlap with one of the instructors.

If you do Hwy 1, plan on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or a Thursday if at all possible. The motorhomes are impossible on Sat/Sun.

Other ideas- Pikes Peak, Watkins Glen, check into the La Carrera Panamerica coming up in Mexico (this month I think). You guys could be groupies and follow along with the racers.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Head out to the SF Bay Area and do a one-day course with Skip Barber ($750 each, or so.) Then rent a nice sporty car and hook up with Mr. Dubois as someone else suggested to do the Quien Sabe Rd. Afterward drive a nice stretch of Hwy 1 and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

for a ride on the Quien Sabe road

The Festorics has to be "one in a life time event", I don't know about the QS thing, Bill you are too kind!

In my mind, what would be a nice present:

A F1 race (Montreal sounds good)

A trip to a BMW factory

24 Le Mans

A driving school in Laguna Seca

A trip to the Isle of Man

An off road race (like Baja, Dakar etc)

An hill climbing event (pikes Peak)

Drive a 2002 in Australia on the wrong side of the road

FAQ Member # 91

Can I be your Dad? :-)

What a neat idea! I need to "plant a few seeds" now for when I turn 60!

I vote for a driving school, or something very out-of-the ordinary....maybe one of those Nascar deals where they let you rent track time with a Busch or Cup car....I know, I know...it's Nascar, but that would be a hoot too!

Have a Blast whatever you decide,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Being a reluctant member of the 6 decade club, and a father. I offer some suggestions:

Are you up for adoption? What a great idea, your dad will love whatever you come up with.

What is most important is the memories. They will be greatest if you and your siblings (if you have any) participate with him. Arrange it so you are not just sending him somewhere, but you are actually joining him. It is better to share the experience, even if it is less exciting, than doing it alone with others just watching or just paying the bill. Fathers love to be with their children.

BMW Performance Driving classes in Spartanburg NC are great fun. Check them out.

A trip to Southern California (John Wayne Airport) would put you in the heart of the "car culture". If anywhere near Irvine CA on a Saturday morning you MUST check out "Cars and Coffee" It is free and you will see more cool cars in 2 hours than you will see in some museums. That alone would be worth the trip, and it happens almost every weekend. I believe that BMW is the featured marque on January 12th. Peterson Auto Museum is great. The Saleen Factory is there. California speedway. etc. check out this google search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=southern+california+automobile+museums&btnG=Search

It is amazing how much California influences the World auto market. There are over 15 manufacturers design studios in SoCal. You can't go wrong with a trip to CarCrazy SoCal.

Remember, your dad will be thrilled with whatever you do, even if it is just renting a cool car locally and taking him out to some local B&B in the mountains for the weekend.

Now I am partial to Santa Barbara too. Check out http://www.coolcarssb.com/ Where your budget is your only limitation. The central coast of California has some great driving roads as well as wineries and towns to visit.

Good luck, we all are interested in what you end up with.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours