• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Golf 02

bingbong

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only a true '02 fanatic would say this after having his car dead in the driveway after 2 separate instances of it breaking down. We're a sick bunch.

Glad you got to wheel it around the block a few times though! I'm looking forward to that myself.

Yes we are a sick bunch and yes that first drive was oh so wonderful, until i realised the car was pulling too the right because i didn't bleed the brakes properly and the horn and indicator canceler was not working but yes that first drive to get registration was brilliant!

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

I had my first drive last week.....keep your chin up and work through the issues. In the end you'll be rewarded with something very special. I have really enjoyed reading your blog, please keep us posted as you move forward.

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

well ive tested the compression and come up with the goods. 150-160psi in each cylinder, yet i have a bit of oil of the electrode on cylinder 4. so the tow truck has being booked and i will be taking the car back to bavaria workshop this friday. Work will prob begin sometime with the next few weeks and build will prob take somewhere between 4-6 months :( so yes my one year resto project has become a 2 year resto mission! But with this in mind i will be ending this restoration with a strong engine with EFI and a good paint job! will keep you guys posted with the engine being pulled out again and the real problems.

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went in today and checked out how they are going. Head is off, sump is off and pistons are out. They are yet to measure the block but they think its alright. It may need to be honed but measuring needs to be done, as for the head thats going to be re conditioned no questions. As for all said modifications I'm doing we are still debating how this will happen. Will prob put in some tii high comp pistons better cam and stick with the 40mm DOCE side drafts. Shame I really wanted to go EFI but the price is just going to be too high. Also going to get a sump baffle made up. Next time I'm out there I will try and get some pics for yall!

Well I went out again today, they havnt done any more work but I do have some prices on some of the parts. Also I got those photo's of the engine apart.

dsc00176bb5.jpg

dsc00177fw3.jpg

dsc00178xu9.jpg

CHRIST you should have seen the rust in the passenger side of the old car!!!

The only other rust is in the front guards and the firewall passenger side rest of the car is spick and span. Also anyone in sydney looking for body work i suggest Astrum body shop in Gladesville 5k for re-spray and rust repair

Just wondering if you had any feedback on Astrum now that you're at the final stages of the build? I've got another project car (not an 02) and I'm looking for a beater and sprayer.

Cheers

1973 Chamonix auto squarie

well I have seen better work but it was a fair price and they are pretty nice people but don't expect fast work. They constantly have insurance work that comes first. Some of the other work they have done was bloody fantastic, but the money was spent on it.

well I have seen better work but it was a fair price and they are pretty nice people but don't expect fast work. They constantly have insurance work that comes first. Some of the other work they have done was bloody fantastic, but the money was spent on it.

Say no more. Speed is of the essence with this one, so it might have to go elsewhere.

Btw, where are you based in Sydney, are you local to Gladesville? If so, I'm pretty close. Would be great to check out your project.

1973 Chamonix auto squarie

No I'm in the Chatswood, Crows nest area. When the car is done we can catch up too check it out.

yep sounds cool

got some more info on the status of the rebuild. Head has already being done and new cam might have gone in! Monday i will be picking up my manifolds and filters and such then putting all of that together and the car could be running again by the end of next week. Will get some more photo's on monday for yall!

Well I got the new manifold and airfilters also checked out the rest of the work done on the engine. Here are some pictures.

dsc00183se6.jpg

dsc00184dc5.jpg

dsc00185ul5.jpg