• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mike Self- whaddathink about this one?:

eastsidebimmer

Mike (and others) I saw this early "2002" on ebay and was thrown off by the Turf color, grille, gauge cluster w/ clock and interior color for a 1968. Vin 1661667 says it is a 1968, it has an early '02 dash and flat cap wheel. Is this simply a "use whats left in the parts bin" car? I didn't think Turf was an available color on US spec 2002s-- Anyone know this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-BMW-2002-VERY-ORIGINAL-FROM-FIRST-YEAR-OF-PRODUCTION_W0QQitemZ150168483017QQihZ005QQcategoryZ42601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Cheers,

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Guest Anonymous

It is also sporting the early driver's side mirror (1600) and red center tail lights that look pretty much like new. Would be interesting to see if those flat turn signals were the two bulb us spec one's. Looks like a nice early car that might possibly even stand a good chance of having 100,000 or so fewer miles than the seller thinks. Would be good to see in person.

Guest Anonymous

It is also sporting the early driver's side mirror (1600) and red center tail lights that look pretty much like new. Would be interesting to see if those flat turn signals were the two bulb us spec one's. Looks like a nice early car that might possibly even stand a good chance of having 100,000 or so fewer miles than the seller thinks. Would be good to see in person.

While not being M Self, I owned a 1968 2002 for 14 years which I sold and recently bought back (although wrecked now).

This car is one of Keith Martin's rides (editor of SCM). I'd doubt that he'd own a car that was not an original color, and it looks very nice and mostly original as presented. The seats etc can always be changed back, but look ok as is. The clock in the dash typically would be a 1600 thing (2002's had tachs), so it's possible the cluster was replaced somewhere in it's life. The grill is all sliver too, so that's a 1600 item as well. This does not devalue the car as these parts are easy to find. The wheels look correct for an early 2002. The flat turn signals were available on the early 1600 and 2002's so those are probably stock US items for the time. I've owned 3 different 1600/2002's 1967-1968 and they all had em'. The early side mirror is correct.

I'm 1/2 tempted to buy it being I'm only an hour from portland.

WH

We've had lots of discussions re "factory" colors on early USA 2002s, and you're correct, turf wasn't one of 'em. Neither was Manila, but both colors have been reported on US spec 68s and 69s.

The suspicion is that the limited color selection was Max Hoffman's doing, not the factory. He also ordered all his cars for US sales with a bunch of options: bumper guards, exhaust tip, tach, vinyl, reclining seats etc.

The car in question is a US spec car by its VIN, and a fairly early '68. It may well be a European tourist or military delivery car that was ordered from BMW AG vs via Hoffman Motors; that would explain the color and lack of tach.

One of these days I'm gonna get to the bottom of this question, soon as I find the right person in MT to ask.

BTW, is the early style mirror mounted right on the leading edge of the driver's door? And does it have the embossed front hood trim? How about two piece hubcaps? All these were on very early US spec '02s.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike, I think your explanation of "ordered by a serviceman" might be the most likely. Everything about this car screams I am a 68 2002, except for the 1600 bits and color. Even looking closely at the vin plate, 1968 is stamped in the Vin number box, just like the early cars (mine included) The car also has correct US spec red dot indicators. It does not have the embossed hood trim or two piece hubcaps

This one is sure a mystery, perhaps the owner has written mobile tradition to get a delivery date, color and country. Hopefully he also enjoys this free bit of advertising to our amusement. Very nice car.

Ben

post-372-1366758304167_thumb.jpg

post-372-13667583042578_thumb.jpg

post-372-13667583043374_thumb.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

the seats have been reupholstered--while cloth center seats were standard (all US cars ordered by Hoffman had the optional vinyl interior) that cloth doesn't look original.

The grilles have no paint on 'em--early 2002 grilles were painted with plain ole black paint, and it started to chip within a few months of delivery. I had black electrical tape on mine for many years until I refurbished the car in 2000; then I used a self etching primer meant for aluminum under the black paint, and it's lasted quite well.

The wheel covers may be from a later car--they're not finished in silver paint as original--but like the grille paint, the painted wheel covers started to peel after a year or so, and most owners just stripped the remaining paint off and polished 'em. Later wheel covers have a round hole for the valve stem; early ones don't.

The car's obviously a US version, as it has the 4 way flasher switch atop the dash, and the instruments are in mph. And BTW, the ribs on the dash shelf didn't appear until late 69--my Feb 69 production date car doesn't have 'em.

Interesting car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite