• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brights

VenturaTii

I tried my Brights yesterday to discover they don't work. I would guess there is a relay for this, I just need to know where and who has one?

Thanks in advance fellow '02ers!

Gretchen - 1974 Chamonix 2002 Tii: 5spd, Bilsteins, H&R Springs & IE Poly Suspension Bushings, Pierre Front Air Dam, Hella Driving Lights, Blaupunkt Stereo, MB Quart Speakers, Parker Gauge Cluster.

Open your hood and you'll see 3 small square relays on the left side, 4 prong I believe. Try and swap the one that doesn't seem to be working with one of the others. Thet are just over $10.00 new and I'm sure Carl, at La Jolla Independent has them, along with 2002haus, and any other 2002 supplier in your area.

Tim

'69 2000

check your fuses too. If necessary you can switch your horn relay for the bright relay. (the little round, or square cans up front driver side)

post-85-13667583111718_thumb.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I swapped the first two relays (there are 3 and the horn worked after the swap so, i think the relay is good) and I could hear is click when I moved the stalk so it must be after the relay somewhere or the head lamp doesn't accomodate brights (however unlikely that is). I checked the fuse it was fine as well as the contacts.

Gretchen - 1974 Chamonix 2002 Tii: 5spd, Bilsteins, H&R Springs & IE Poly Suspension Bushings, Pierre Front Air Dam, Hella Driving Lights, Blaupunkt Stereo, MB Quart Speakers, Parker Gauge Cluster.

Some random thoughts:

I am not positive, but it is possible that the stock light relay arrangement relies on both (non-horn) relays operating correctly for the bright circuit to properly work. Perhaps it is so the regular lights drop when the high beams come on? So hearing a click may not mean both relays are healthy, maybe both relays need to be clicking, not just one?

You can throw a volt meter on the light connector to rule out burn out bulbs.

I know I had issues with the high beams not dimming when I switched them off, or waiting a few seconds before dimming. Didn't matter if I used new relays...same thing. I ended up just rewiring the lights, but it makes me think the system is finicky about proper voltage balances and wire resistance to work properly.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002