• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first car (02) ongoing project

UK-INKA-02

Hi everyone,

I have been asking loads of question for ages, so today I thought I should start a project blog.

I bought my 2002 about a year ago it has only got 1 previous owner. I’m now getting it running properly and I have got some bits to get the project started.

the pic shows how the car was when I got it.

Regards

James

post-2687-13667583112709_thumb.jpg

The next big job on my to do list was to get a bit more get up and go out of the engine. This is were it got a bit expensive!

I decided after loads of questions and advise I would just do the cylinder head to start with.

I managed to get my self a very good condition cylinder head with no cracks etc which I sent off to have gas flowed and the shrick valves/springs and 292 cam fitted with all new rocker arms.

To go with the head I had a set of reconditioned twin Solex 40's stashed away with all the linkage and manifolds which I had matched to the head.

So after a few months of saving I took the car to a local garage to have the cylinder head fitted. Good job I got the cylinder head fitted when I did because it turns out the old head gasket was staring to leak!

But I can say after all of the work I can really feel a noticeable difference with no real difference in torque or drivability. I did however get the get the car tuned on a rolling road so I could get it set up and re-jetted properly. The noticeable difference turned out to be 160bhp at the flywheel

post-2687-13667583114806_thumb.jpg

post-2687-13667583118428_thumb.jpg

post-2687-13667583124385_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Cool car. I love that color.

Like the black steel wheels - good decision on that.

Do you have some sort of mudflaps or mudguards behind the rear wheels?

Scott in Cincy

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI