• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My tii is finally in primer!

Martin

Jeez, martin,

I had to do some math in my head (not a good idea) to recall the conversation we had in the 2002 Corral in Keystone at O'Fest 2002...has it really been that long?

Looks as if you're in the home stretch as far as bodywork goes.

I agree that test fitting the driveline for the five speed will make final assembly easier, not to mention the lazy fifth gear highway cruising.

Your work is exceptional!

Thank you for sharing and including the little ones.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

outstanding work martin. this is a car for the next generation, too. i just lost my covered workspace and am dealing with the stress of moving ALL my 02 goodies to cramped space. it's gonna be a bear finding bits n pieces now.

i think you are a shoe-in for most patience award...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Jeez, martin,

I had to do some math in my head (not a good idea) to recall the conversation we had in the 2002 Corral in Keystone at O'Fest 2002...has it really been that long?

Looks as if you're in the home stretch as far as bodywork goes.

I agree that test fitting the driveline for the five speed will make final assembly easier, not to mention the lazy fifth gear highway cruising.

Your work is exceptional!

Thank you for sharing and including the little ones.

D

Yes, it really has been that long. I wish I could work faster, but life (and mother nature) seems to have a way of imposing speed limits.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin

'73tii rustoration

2002tii-restoration.org

Looks great.... Did you use epoxy primer on the bare metal?

DLM (•¿•)›

Thanks! No self-etching primer or phosphate washes if that's what you mean. The metal has been sand blasted, sanded, and thorougly degreased. My processes is consistent with the instructions on the DPLF datasheet.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin

'73tii rustoration

2002tii-restoration.org

Guest Anonymous

Regarding the quote you made:

Body filler costs less than primer-surfacer; so the idea here is to fill in the low spots first with the cheaper stuff and use the primer-surfacer later to get the panel really straight. I try to spread the filler out as evenly as possible, and I only work one section at a time.

You'll no doubt notice that I am putting the filler on bare metal. There are two schools of thought here: The older approach is to put the filler on bare metal and then apply primer. The newer approach is prime first and then use the filler. Well, I'm used to doing it this way. So I say "go with what you comfortable with".

Since I am planning to do as much of the prep work as possible, and never having done this before. Could you explain more the 2 theories here?

Thanks!!

J.E.2002

Since I am planning to do as much of the prep work as possible, and never having done this before. Could you explain more the 2 theories here?

Thanks!!

J.E.2002

You know, I wish I had the expertise to go into more detail. Paging Esty and Dubois to elaborate if they care to.

Here's link to a good article about body filler http://www.roadsters.com/filler/

I'm just going about things the way I learned from experienced painters. I was taught to put filler on metal. I haven't had any problems. So that's way I do it. But I know of others that like to put epoxy primer down first.

It seems that in bodywork and painting there are at least two ways to do just about anything, and that can make it confusing for us hobbyists. I think that as long as you select an approach that is known to work with your materials, and you are fanatical about cleanliness and prep work, you will get good results.

HTH,

Martin

'73tii rustoration

2002tii-restoration.org

This looks great! I really want to get another car and do this some day, but alas, it will have to wait until I own a home with a garage, or have some suitable garage space to work in regularly where I can keep my car.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com