• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Behr A/C removal

jwolff

Contemplating removing the A/C from my car as it isn't charged, makes a lot of when turned on, and I have no intention of really ever using it (rather drive with the windows down and sunroof open). My questions are: is this a huge undertaking (haven't had much luck finding any write ups on this procedure, but will see what's in any of the manuals I own tonight), and besides making the car less original (not really a problem since the car is now far from original-back in '85 the color of the car was changed as was the interior re-dyed to a different color and a new engine and gearbox were installed) are there any other negatives I should be worried about? Thanks in advance

jason wolff

1956 Triumph TR3

1965 Triumph Spitfire Mk2

I would check to see if your dash is cut where the sides of the A/C console meet the dash. If the dash is cut you would have to change the dash along with the console to make the interior look decent.

The parts under the hood I don't think would be that bad to remove. It might be nice to have the radiator out to give you some extra room to work. It might also be nice to leave the crank hub, so you don't have to deal with pulling it off. All in all I don't think that it would take all that long.

Since the A/C conversion was a dealer added option, you would actually be making the car more original I would think.

If you do decide to remove the console, compressor bracket, and condensor, I might be interested in buying those parts if you weren't saving them. I also have a console removed from a '75 2002 that could be worked into the deal if you would like. Hope that helps a bit.

Aric Vander Werff

1973 2002tii 1972 2002

it's well worth the effort to remove the 60lbs of dead weight from a dead A/C unit. give yourself a full afternoon to remove the system.

remove your front grills.

jack the front up high because some of the brackets are easier to access from underneath.

you may have to loosen the front swaybar to get a little more clearance when you get the compressor free from the engine block. you will probably replace a couple longer bolts with shorter ones when you remove the A/C related brackets, inorder to secure the lower timing cover to the block. after 30 or so years, expect some difficulty loosening the hoses from their attachment points.

take your time, it's not rocket science.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

If the condensor is junk, remove your grilles and the kidney and use an air saw to make a couple horizontal cuts. The pieces will come right out the front in 10 minutes or less.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

If the condensor is junk, remove your grilles and the kidney and use an air saw to make a couple horizontal cuts. The pieces will come right out the front in 10 minutes or less.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!