• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HVLP "Turbine" D.I.Y. Painting

bugtustlebub

Esteemed FAQ members,

I've seen these systems, and some are sold with a 30-day money-back.

Anyone, here, want to chime in on having used one to paint a vehicle?

I don't really need to/want to have a big compressor sitting around, unused.

Your input is appreciated!

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

I have never used one before but I will tell you to check and make sure it has the proper air pressure. Today's high solid clears take quite a bit of air pressure to properly atomize them. With a regular hvlp you usually will have to crank the air pressure up a bit to spray the high solid clears. From what I read a "turbine" gun uses 5-7 psi where a regular hvlp uses around 35-40 psi. I don't know how well that low of an air pressure will atomize the high solids materials. A single stage enamel would be the same. Also if you do go this route see if you can get a gravity fed gun instead of a siphon fed. You waste a lot of material with a siphon fed gun. Teeto.

Looking for a restorable BMW 2002.

teeto,

Thanks, man. I'll check out those pressures. For sure, gravity fed makes logical sense.

So did you paint, too, when working in the resto shop? I'd love to apprentice at one, for my own education. I only need two things to do it; time and money.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Yes I did paint. I worked in a collision shop and then moved to the restoration shop (all one business). I painted all the restorations we did and did the painting for a few collision guys that didn't have the experience or didn't like the paint end of the job. Also consider the price of the unit. You can buy a fairly cheap air compressor that will handle a paint gun. Are you doing the body work yourself? If so you will almost certainly need an air compressor for the body work... sanding, grinding. Good luck. Teeto.

Looking for a restorable BMW 2002.

i've used the Turbine guns and i like them. i use it with an Accuspray gun and was able to adjust the spray pattern as necessary. they are a bit loud (like a cheap vacuum cleaner, which they actually are, in reverse). it took me awhile to do it right, but i think that was more due to inexperience in general.

using them eliminates the need to filter air for moisture and/or oil as needed with compressed air systems. they are suitable for the DIY'er, but i don't think professional shops would deal with them.

and yes, a gravity-fed gun is the best option.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

www.tptools.com

30 days, money-back ga-rhone-tea.

There are probably other vendors. I think that Eastwood used to market one, too.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

I'm on my second. I've used them for over 20 years. I recently bought the current TP turbine and am well along in painting one of my coupes.

The only issue I can think of is that the turbine heats the air, so you have to reduce/thin the paint to get it to flow smoothly. The upside of this is that you do not get any water in the air. This is especially good here in the mid-Atlantic where it is humid most of the time.

post-288-13667583434406_thumb.jpg

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

you do not get any water in the air

Bill's right, but I still prefer (1) to have a high-quality dryer on the compressor line, and (2) limit the HVLP use to spraying varnish, etc., for woodworking finishes. Just my personal preference.

Randy, if you're so inclined, come up for a day to my 'hood, and I'll show you Uncle Rick's setup (he's two houses up from me). That'll give you an idea of what can be done in a home shop, although it does involve a big compressor (and a fancy dryer). But at least we can show you a really cool gravity feed set-up, which produces excellent results.

Thanks, Bill_Riblett, Otis, and Brad!

My inquiry is purely investigational, at this point.

I need to make some "visits", yes.

Bill_Riblett, that car is looking sweet. I appreciate your response.

Otis, I'd love to come to your 'hood and check out Unkl Rick's set up. We just need to agree on the "when". Of course, I suppose some kind of appropriate costume will be required.

Brad, I'll check those guys out this week. What's your lunch schedule looking like?

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

Otis, I'd love to come to your 'hood and check out Unkl Rick's set up. We just need to agree on the "when". Of course, I suppose some kind of appropriate costume will be required.

Try to come by during Halloween week, if you can. Uncle Rick decorates his house with about $50,000 of Halloween decorations. Fair warning, however -- for costumes, we all "dress" as roller-skating pull-toys. It's quite a scene -- enough to make co-workers and children cringe.