• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted the block this week

Harv

Thanks Bill.

I was scared of painting it that color. The last motor that was in it was black. I decided to take a que from the street rod guys and try to go all fancy.

We'll see how it look when it's all done.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Gee, when you have the "Megasquirt" installed you won't be able to see anything in there! :-)

Seriously, nice work! How close does it match the body paint?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

It's really kinda a ColoInka. Closer to Colorado than Inka. I didn't want to get too close to the car with a dripping wet paint stick.

I think it's a good match.

Anyone notice the new baby seat in the background?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Had to mix yellow and hipo orange.

I always thought hippos were gray.

When you go to car shows, you are going to have to have a box of cheap sunglasses to hand out to people for viewing your car! Safety first!

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I decided to take a que from the street rod guys

Thanks for showing us some love. Now, how about fattening up those skinny little back tires, tubbing the wheel wells, a raked top chop, and topping everything off with a 6-71 blower . . .

I always thought hippos were gray.

Nope. The Orange Hippo is, as you may know, one of the primary characters in the Hasbrow game, Happy Happy Hippos. There are four hippos available to play. There is Happy Hippo (pink), Henry Hippo (orange), Homer (green), and Harry (yellow). In some versions of the game, the orange hippo is replaced by a blue hippo, also named Henry. Also, in earlier versions of the commercial, there were five hippos in the conga line, the blue one being the fifth one singing "HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS!"

The game, originally introduced in 1978 (and therefore making the color rather appropriate for a 70's era car, like the 02), briefly made a resurgent comeback due to the below-quoted exchange involving Conan O'Brien. Beware the Happy Orange Hippo; he is a ravenous sort:

"Senator Zell Miller": I challenge you to a duel, sir. That's right, we shall each draw swords and I will open your belly and let your Yankee entrails spill onto the red Georgia clay.

Conan: Alright, now wait a minute. sir, no I am not gonna duel you with swords. It's ridiculous.

"Senator Zell Miller": Very well. Then we will strip ourselves 'nekid and awl each others as the ancient Romans did, armed only with flamethrowers. I will scortch the flesh from your body and build an outhouse for my field hands with your charred, treasoness bones.

Conan: Alright, now wait a minute. There's going to be no flamethrowers and no fighting.

"Senator Zell Miller": Then you leave me no choice but to play you in a game of "Hungry, Hungry Hippos." We shall draw the hippos, and my orange hippo - fore I am always orange - will ravenously devour all the marbles in your Hasbro hippo pit while your sorry blue hippo snaps impotently at the vacant air.

Anyone notice the new baby seat in the background?

John

In spite of being hijacked by the hilarious essay on "Hungry, Hungry, Hippos", I noticed that box right away. Being a new grandparent and such, we focus in on all the "baby" stuff now. I think CJ has a Recaro seat for his son in his 02. Nice to see some progress on that beautiful orange beast.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours