• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A "tii" is reborn:

1-Series "tii"

BMW is to make a lighter, lower version of the 1-series coupé, and is likely to go into limited production next year.

Named after the classic and highly desirable 2002 tii, the Concept 1-series tii is a motorsport-influenced, carbonfibre-rich two-door with a bespoke aerodynamic kit and a modified interior.

The tii’s front and rear bumpers are new, along with the sill covers and bootlid, to improve the car’s aerodynamics. On the bootlid, a spoiler, a thin carbonfibre blade will increase downforce over the back axle. There are even fins on each side of the carbonfibre bonnet to improve airflow over the front of the car.

As a result, BMW claims the tii is lighter and better-balanced than a standard 1-series coupé. It’s also lower (by 23mm) and slightly longer.

Inside, the tii gets a severe-looking set of race seats, plenty of black Alcantara and contrasting white-painted trim on the dash, doors and steering wheel. The white-faced rev counter gets an oil temperature gauge.

The engine is likely to be a version of the 2005 320si’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder unit. BMW have indicated it will have a turbo; the reversed tii logo on the bumper is a subtle nod to the original 2002 Turbo, which had ‘turbo’ and '2002' written in reverse lettering in the same place.

Although the 320si wasn’t particularly quick or powerful — 173bhp and 0-60mph in 8.1sec — its 7000rpm peak power delivery had something of the original M3’s engine, and its quick responses were well-received. In a lighter 1-series, with the tii’s efficient aerodynamics, performance could be much improved, especially with a turbo.

Don’t expect the production car to be called M1 or tii, however. The most likely name for this 1-series is CS; BMW has always applied it to lighter, faster models.

2008Tii11.jpg

2008Tii10.jpg

2008Tii02.jpg

2008Tii04.jpg

2008Tii05.jpg

2008Tii06.jpg

2008Tii07.jpg

2008Tii08.jpg

2008Tii09.jpg

Chairman of the 02 Register BMW Car Club (GB) Ltd.

I'll believe it when I "see it"! :-) The US is bound to be "cheated" in one way or other as is usually the norm.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

is it just me, or is that car just too garish.

the appeal of the 02's for me was the 'wolf in sheep's clothing' aspect.

if a pile of money were to fall out of the sky and into my lap i'd be interested in buying one, i'd just not want it to scream "go fast car"

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Interesting the other information I found stated that the motor would be the same twin-turbo 3.0L as found in the 135i.

My bets are that it will be a 6-cylinder rather than a 4.

I agree with you, Justin. BMW makes only a few engines certified for the North American market and the 3.0 six cylinder (also used in the new three series) is the likely candidate. BMW dropped the notion of four-cylinder cars in the late 1990s as part of streamlining efforts of North American operations.

Steve Dinan might have one at his shop, however. Might make one heckuva nice SCCA racecar.

Targa Newfoundland entry?

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I'd prefer a properly stripped out light-weight version with the new diesel motor:

"The 123d produces 201bhp, 27bhp more than the 120d, and the maximum torque of 295lb-ft comes slightly higher up the rev range, at 2,000-2,250rpm."

That would be a proper successor to the Tii (without the garish paint job). This thing has more in common with the turbo.

Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Gee guys, the 320Si is far closer to being a "real" M car than the badge crap they are sending out today.

1) The 320Si is a Homologation model to a very strict formula for WTC

2) The 173 hp 2 litre engine was built to that exacting formula at the Landshut factory beside the F1 engines.

3) The do-dads on the 320Si are from BMW Motorsport, not //M and are intended to go racing, not neighbor envying.

4) BMW //M is an offshoot of the "REAL" company called MOTORSPORT who also operates "BMW-Sauber F1 Team"

5) BMW offers an engine kit to racers to convert the 173 hp engine to 275 hp for competition.

Depending on weight, with this car tuned to 200 hp, it could be a giant killer.

kevin