• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to clean up my engine bay...need advice/help

pissdrunx321

While your buying Marine Clean. Pick up some POR15.

Clean the brake booster and mount. Paint CAREFULLY with POR15. Don't paint the threads on the brake booster or you will have a very hard time ever getting it off. POR15 flows very well. You can use a brush. A little goes a LONG way. Buy the smallest can they have. Use gloves, it will NOT come off your skin. You can paint over rust with the stuff.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

On the right side of this pic is the snorkle setup for the air cleaner, it has 2 settings, one for summer and the other for winter:

2002engine.jpg

I plan to keep mine! Sucking hot desert air in mid summer can't be a good thing!

Where could I get one of these?!?!?!

Much appreciated. -Ian

ihanrahan321 AT yahoo DOT com

1973 2002 #3638751

While your buying Marine Clean. Pick up some POR15.

Clean the brake booster and mount. Paint CAREFULLY with POR15. Don't paint the threads on the brake booster or you will have a very hard time ever getting it off. POR15 flows very well. You can use a brush. A little goes a LONG way. Buy the smallest can they have. Use gloves, it will NOT come off your skin. You can paint over rust with the stuff.

Seconded on all points. I just used this stuff for the first time and am amazed at how far it goes. It takes a little bit to paint a lot of surface area. It sticks to stuff incredibly well. It "stains" your skin. Never to be the original color again until that skin is worn away. I have spatter marks on my calf to prove it (I was being so damned careful too!). Once dried it does NOT wash off. As the can states, use a small coffee spoon or the like to dispense it. You don't need very much to paint a lot.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

sounds like some heavy duty stuff....

is it for coating rust?

those are some great tips!

Could you paint the exhaust with that rust paint and then something for a durable coat ???

What is best for degreasing before painting ???

whats safe on these engines/parts?

They make heat resistant paints as well. Have a look at http://www.por15.com/ I bought a kit that includes their Por15 paint, Por15 Chassis Coat, their Metal Ready prep product, and the Marine Clean degreaser. I'm almost done painting my rear subframe and haven't used but maybe a quarter of the pint of Por15 and the Chassis Coat.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

most paints.

Yep, and I've always sealed it with a piece of plastic in between to make sure I don't paint the can shut. I think Shad told me about this, and I think it says it on the can, that if you get pint in the lip and then close the can, it will create a permanent seal and you won't be able to get the lid off if it dries.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

POR15 is a sealing paint. When dry it is non porus, thus cutting off oxygen supply to rust. I have always been suspicious of the clames but it works.

I bought this 2" square receiver hitch for my old 145. I bolted it on and used it. One day I was painting suspention parts in the garage with POR15 and had some left over. With NO prep work other than wiping off the dirt with my hand. I painted over the completely rust covered trailer hitch.

The next day when I was painting everything with POR15 Chasis Black, I went over the hitch the same way. The finish was very good considering the effort I put into it. The hitch remained looking like new to the day I sold the car. It was impervious to almost anything.

Yep, and I've always sealed it with a piece of plastic in between to make sure I don't paint the can shut.

Yea, I just figured out that you are supposed to push the plastic wrap down to the surface of the paint. This prevents the moisture in the air from hardening the POR15. Its water that makes it kick.

"POR15, We know what permanent means"

John

IMG_0291_2.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades