• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone towed their '02 with a...

herkjerk

u-haul tow dolly? Ant words of wisdom? Did you just put it in nuetral or...? My Jeep doesn't weigh enough according to them so they won't let me rent the trailer like I wanted to so I'm stuck using the dolly and putting 2 wheels on the ground.

1969 BMW 2002/2002 MB C32 AMG(FOR SALE)/1998 Mitsubishi Chariot/2001 Nissan March

Do it all the time with my 02 race car, just drive it up on the dolly, strap it down, chnage the rear tires and off to the track. It's about 50 miles each way so it's not a long way but still it's not just a trip around the block. Not seen any issues yet so.....

as long as it is a stick shift you will be good for long while.... It would be way better to back the car up onto the dolly and tie or lock the steering wheel straight....I tow cars for a living and this is just a word of wisdom wheel bearings are way cheaper than a new transmission

1974 bmw 2002tii

2006 ktm smc625 supermoto

2002 porsche 911 ct2

Find someone other than UHaul. I keep telling myself I'll never deal with them again time after time, but somehow they are always the ones I call, and I am always disappointed with their service, their equipment, and generally their entire attitude. Penske and a boat load of others rent the same equipment for around the same price, but it's generally 15 years newer.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

yeah, it's a stick and I just replaced the tranny and diff fluids with fresh redline. Taking it from Albuquerque NM to East Texas
easy Rapdi city Sd to Refugio TX

Rear wheels down please.

tried the out way and did a 4 wheel drift on I 80 . Big truck pass me @ 90mph and I did the down the mittle in the dirt sideways @ 70. Re loaded it frt first no more problems

u-haul tow dolly? Ant words of wisdom? Did you just put it in nuetral or...? My Jeep doesn't weigh enough according to them so they won't let me rent the trailer like I wanted to so I'm stuck using the dolly and putting 2 wheels on the ground.

What kind of Jeep do you have? Jeeps are known for their towing capacity. I tow with my 5.2L V-8 all the time, but the 4.0L 6 has plenty of torque...pulling an auto transport trailer shouldn't be a problem - especially in your area of the "flat country".

If you go with the dolly....it shouldn't be a problem, but over a long distance, I'd disconnect the driveshaft if I were you.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

without the driveline connected.

I just did a 650 mile tow and had to reposition the car on the dolly on the dolly (it wasn't centered properly on the first try). It would have been a major bitch to have to hook up the driveline while parked on the shoulder.

I know the factory manual says to disconnect the driveline, anecdotal evidence says you're OK without.

Cheers!

John N

easy Rapdi city Sd to Refugio TX

Rear wheels down please.

tried the out way and did a 4 wheel drift on I 80 . Big truck pass me @ 90mph and I did the down the mittle in the dirt sideways @ 70. Re loaded it frt first no more problems

did you have to change your shorts too????

i thought i could be lazy and rely on the steering lock to hold the front wheels steady. about 3 miles down Highway 80 in Berkeley/Albany car began swaying slightly back and forth. there was enough play in the front suspension to cause trouble.

yeah, i should of known better.... pulled over and tied the steering wheel securely with no other problems. i always tow on the rear wheels.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous
yeah, it's a stick and I just replaced the tranny and diff fluids with fresh redline. Taking it from Albuquerque NM to East Texas

shaft connected on a manual trans car.

If you want to be SURE not to have any driveline problems, the alternative to disconnecting the driveshaft is disconnecting the half-shafts at the rear wheel hubs - that way nothing's turning except the wheels. An additional advantage is that the halfshafts are somewhat easier to connect/disconnect once the car's on the tow dolly - all that's required is to lift each wheel clear of the ground, unbolt the CV joint and tie the halfshaft up out of the way.

Guest Anonymous

Did you ever wonder why people say"if it's only that far". Well the reason is that the lubrication in the manual trans is produced from the rotation of the input shaft. If the input shaft isn't driving the gears the trans isn't getting proper lubrication. For short pulls poor to no lubrication only damages the trans but doesn't grenade the thing right here and now. Just unbolt it and secure it.