• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

today's engineering tidbit: key shape.

KFunk

This cold morning, I was starting the 02 and cranking it a little extra. I don't have a choke cable connected to the DCOEs, so it takes a little extra work this time of year. I don't mind at all.

Anyways, as I held the starter cranking, I then realized why the BMW key is shaped in such a strange way, with the big offset lobe on the top, heh. I wonder why only 02 keys are like that. (are later bimmer keys shaped like that?)

Just one of those tiny german engineering tidbits that must've fallen by the wayside.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I think the "LOBE", as you call it, was used to allow extra leverage when turning and holding the key in the Start position.

Yes, exactly. I didn't explain it in my original post, as I was hoping to confuse people, then get them to walk outside and start their car, and notice that their thumb rests right on the lobe and gives them leverage to put it into the starter position.

Newer EFI cars probably don't require much effort to start them, and maybe they've came up with new lock cylinder designs as well. I've noticed some cars like my miata just have a gigantic key, which makes it easy to get leverage.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I think that it's shaped that way so that the bulk of the key in the running position is up out of the way of your knee in case of collision, both the 02 and the VW had key slots on the steering column.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

Still wonder why BMW moved to push button starting on the new cars.

Honda is probably to blame for starting that trend with the S2000. It suddenly became the cool thing to have....

Bring a Welder

A lot of those modern big keys contain microchips for the various antitheft devices (code matching etc).... hence the size.

Still wonder why BMW moved to push button starting on the new cars.

our 52 willies jeep had that push button start when I was a kid. I got in big trouble one time cos I sat out there pushing the button like a little kid would when my dad was away from the truck.

but it was a button !! you gotta push it!

so true about the bmw key shape -- your thumb rests on it just right when cranking. cheers to those barvarians and their comfy keys!

....and the 'folding' key is better

in the event your 'package' is passing quickly

over and out the front window after sudden impact.

Your 'bits' will remain intact.

That's also the reason for m/c gas caps folding

forword, or in BMW's case - flush mounted screw

on caps.

10-2959477.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

they did good on ignition but the trunk key sucks!

it goes in either way (on mine at least) so its a 50-50 chance you've put it in upside down

That's true, but ever since I thoroughly cleaned up my trunk lock's tumblers and graphited them, my trunk lock works like a charm. There's no force required to turn it at all. You just put it in there and it spins around.

So if you haven't yet, take it on apart and shoot it all over with brake cleaner, file down the tumblers so they don't stick out too much, and fill it full of dry graphite powder. I've already done that to my door locks of course. I only did all that after those locks finally failed on me. So, I encourage people doing it before they accidentally lock something in the trunk you can't get out (like i did), or break the door lock cylinder in half (like i did).

I haven't done anything yet with the ignition cylinder, perhaps I should!

Bring a Welder