• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drilled Vented Rotors from Bavauto - Opinions?

Patman

Hello All,

Has anyone used the drilled vented rotors for a TII offered by Bavarian Auto? Are they worth it?

It's time to do my front brakes and I am considering them but would like to know if they are worth the money. Or, should I just clean up my OEM rotors and in stall new pads.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Patman

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Yeah. The ones pictured are vented from a M5, but they must be drilled solid rotors.

Here is what I'm considering:

Part Number 34 11 1 152087D

Description Bavarian Autosport Cross Drilled Brake Rotor Set - Front 

Price $169.95 set

Anyone use these?

Thanks again,

Patman

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Are you looking for some sort of gain by installing them? Or is it just that look cool? Also keep in mind you would be able to resurface them which means if they pulsate or squeak your purchasing a new pair or waiting for a warranty replacement pair to ship.

I can't explain the engineering in drilling a solid rotor, cooling purposes I suppose. However if it's a daily driver as a opposed to a weekend racer I don't know that you get the brake performance you paid for.

I'm sure other will chime in and give their opinions. It all boils down to how to you want the car to look and how do you want the car to handle and perform??

Best of luck

Ben

'74 tii- malaga--Sold it 7/1/07 Died a slow painful death in Colorado

Now I need another....roundie this time!

I have a set of the vented ultimate rotors that I ordered for my big brake upgrade this winter. I ordered them mostly because they look cool (pun unintentional and somewhat unavoidable).

If I were ordering the solid rotors I'd go with the slotted ones.

Drilling a crapload of holes in a solid rotor doesn't seem like the best idea to me. Remember brakes are heat sinks, by removing a bunch of metal you've reduced the heat sink capability of the rotor and decreased the friction area of the pad. With a solid rotor I don't think the holes are going to provide enough venting to make up for the metal you remove.

By contrast the slotted rotors remove very little metal but provide most of the benefits of drilling. I had ATE power disks on a five series and loved them.

Whether they are worth twice the cost is your call.