• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension swap on my '69 1600-2

diggin02s

Guys, I need a little advice. What do you think would be the best candidate for a suspension swap onto (or underneath) my 69 1600-2, an e12 or a e3? I plan on using the front and rear suspension. I realize there will need to be quite a bit of fabrication but, in the end the pros out weigh the cons. What do you guys think?

I think it would be an insane waste of time and energy to replace a quite serviceable suspension with another obsolete and heavier one. I have a friend who beats up on E36 & E46 M3's with an 02 running Ireland coil overs.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

Having just removed, refreshened, and reinstalled my rear subframe, I don't see a point other than just to say I did it. Everything fits back there very neatly, and if you really want get insane with adjustments, you can get camber kit to adjust the pitch of just about any component you want back there.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

Fellas, fellas. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, or do this for the ooh ah factor. The reasoning is that I want to run Alpina flares, the Bavaria suspension is roughly five inches wider than the 2002. It uses the same suspension design as the 2002. It has four wheel disc brakes that are already larger than a 2002. It has five lug wheels that have larger hubs ( I know the front hubs are the same as a tii). So, I don't need to run some wheels with a crazy offset that destroy the wheel bearings just to fill the flares. Besides, didn't the factory racer use alot of Bavaria suspension parts? It seems to me that using this suspension gives you all the desired performance pieces wrapped up in an OEM package with a moderate amount of fabrication for installation.

Let's face it, a 2002 is not going into the Smithsonian any time soon so, let's have some fun with these things and maybe experiment a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Me, I'd use the trailing arms off of an E21,

put some disc brakes and coilover shocks back there,

then maybe swap the front tubes for larger diameter

struts onto a set of tii spindles, early 5er style front calipers,

and go from there.

Those Alpina flares are actually not big enough to run a 9.5" cantilever,

so I'd be surprised if you'd want to limit your tire widths by moving the

hubs that far out... well, unless they're the late G3 flares...

That's my take. It looks a lot like what I'm racing, except

that I need more FLARE!

since you asked...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 5 weeks later...