• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the clunk that i thought was the ball joint

ChuckR

- in the left front of my car - seems to be not the ball joint, but the strut somewhere. i pulled the strut tonight and the ball joint is just fine (i'll replace anyway, as it's original). but here's a question, should the top bearing have any play up and down? mine seems to have some movement, and it does spin freely but wobbles as it spins, and i wonder if that's the clunking i hear?

the bearings are only a year old, i just put bilsteins in about a month ago, and they are good...any thoughts? thanks, chuck

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

Just a thought, I'd look at the nut on top of the strut first, being that was the last repair made. Make sure it's tight and doesn't turn the shaft of the strut insert when trying.

The top bearings can lock up while turning - partially due to old bearings and/or cracked upper spring cup. As far as any gaps in the strut assembly; even with short sport springs, there shouldn't be any noises up there.

that go at the top of the strut back in their proper order? The symptoms you describe can be caused by out of order bits 'n pieces...and since you just installed new Bilsteins...

just a thought

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Check for the correct installation of the washers and cup washers.

Check this link about half way down for the drawing.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,289061/

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

1st, thanks for the responses.

the bilsteins are good used.

i have double checked the tightness of the top nut.

i am missing the cupped washer, however.

can't seem to find one...

um, does anyone have an opinion on the wobble, or movement up and down on the top bearing? chuck

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

i had a center-link that got sloppy and made a clunking sound. if you haven't checked it yet, do so, just in case.

the pivot points are designed to get loose within their housing rather than fatigue crack apart. clever design i think, as long as you act upon its warning.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

my battery is tight. i just removed the bearing (which i think is bad) and found that my nut/collar that holds the insert in was way, way loose! so the shock was banging up and down! thanks for the thoughts.

chuck

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com