• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC or Not? Living in LA

Tangarine-Dream

I disconnected mine. Sure it gets alittle hot and uncomfortable, but I didnt mind it at all. My 200SX has A/C. But in the summer time I only used it when my girlfriend and her daughter were in the car with me. I guess im just accustomed to opening my windows and letting the air cool me off. Besides, summers in L.A. are not that bad. Its only hot for a couple of months. The rest of the time the weathers great. If you had moved to Pomona or Santa Clarita, then I would have said to connect it. It gets hot as hell in the valleys.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Welcome to the South bay! I'm in the next city over (Manhattan Beach). Actually I'm only a couple blocks away from Redondo, but I don't have AC here and it's fine. I find that open windows are enough cooling. Let me know when you wanna meet up!

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

As a former South Bay resident (El Segundo), you don't need AC if you are just driving around in South Bay. You will need AC if you go inland or or 405 N into the valley. In winter you won't need AC anywhere in So Cal.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

you don't need no stinking A/C.

i survived Hotlanta with a 74 02 and non-functioning A/C, but admittingly, i did try like hell to make it (the Frigiking) work....

just clean and re-grease and adjust your window regulators.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Dear Mark:

Congrats.

Does it feel warm to you? Are you too cold? Do you mind if I turn up/down the thermostat? Can I open a window?

Air conditioning is nice to have, when you need it. If you or your passenger/s sweat at the drop of a hat, get it. If, on the other hand, you are the only one in the room that likes it that way, leave it that way.

No wrong answer - unless you are Sir sweatsalot!

A car cover is mandatory to keep the sun from ruining your interior on a daily basis if you have to drive it to a job and park in the sun, and you'll get the ocean air a lot at home, so (since you have a house) keep it garaged as much as possible. The only '02s that rust in SoCal are the ones exposed to the ocean air regularly.

My goodness! I think I'm going without the A/C as I have the steel pulley and EDIS gear. THANK YOU ALL for the replies and well wishes. I am down here -- in escrow -- waiting for everything to fall into place before I move all the household goods and the 02 down here. So far...so good. Yeah Armond I'm here and 1.5 miles from the beach! Fun, we'll have to hook up once I'm settled in; Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach is super close from where I'm re-locating to. I think I am going to sell my 330 drop-top. The bills are going way up and I may need the extra cash. I built my bicycle up real nice and Kerman is finishing my motor. February starts the madness and by early Summer the 02 will roll again!

The Road of Life Should Be Driven in a BMW2002!! Happy Trails!

Add whatever creature comforts you desire -- but as we all know, it takes a real man to drive an 02 in 95 degree heat in the dead of August, no A.C., butt nekked, stuck to the black naugahyde seats like glue. Nothing finer than freeing your nekked butt with a spatula, and then admiring the imprints left in your backside by the original naugahyde grain.

AC? We don't need no stinkin' AC!

post-1769-13667584134873_thumb.jpg