• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why don't we see more M42s in 2002s?

nevadainMN

Because people who have never attempted it (and people who have done it using an incorrect parts combination) harp on about what a bitch it is. You're fixin' to finally see mine. Car's about to go to the P&B shop then the motor goes in...FINALLY. Still I think we're talking several months. I hope to drive the car to Mid-America '02 Fest in Eureka Springs, AR in April then to V@V in May. BTW there are a LOT more M42 powered '02s on the road than most folks are aware of. Not plentiful by any means but it's been done by quite a few people. Tom from '02 Again is correct. E30 engine (or sump anyway) mated to an E21 323i 4 or 5 speed tranny. It's not rocket science. If you use the M42/M44 engine with rear sump and E36 intake manifold and E30/36 tranny(i.e. francis scott writeup) you get to reinvent the wheel.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Guest Anonymous
Stay tuned, I've heard rumors of 2002 Haus is in the R&D stage of creating some fabricated parts that will make it easier to drop the M42 into an 02. When Rob is ready, I'm sure he'll let everyone know. It make take a while, Rob doesn't do anything half ass. It will be a quality product and throughly tested.

G-Man

would be the availablility of a well engineered front subframe/crossmember with properly located M42 engine mounts and mounts for rack & pinion steering (E21 or ??). The only other factor that seems like it could require some fairly serious fabrication would be the steering column and shaft hook-up - as long as the engine mounts and steering issues are resolved, the rest of it doesn't look like it would be any more difficult than the adaptations required for installing an S14 or M20.

I've been contemplating (and assembling parts) for an M20 swap into my E21 for some time, but with the spiraling cost of fuel and a 60 miles per day commute, I'm starting to think about an M42 instead.

Let's see... I have invested in the 2002 haus project. To date 1 74 tii,1 E 30, 1 Z3 with the M 44 and the promise of my first grand child to be named later to Robin. I expect to have a supercharged M 44 powering my Pick up in the next 6 months. Rob is repairing the tii. My wife wants the engine out of our 96 z3. So, I sent it to Rob!

i dont remember how exactly the steering column was installed in the car i drove, however i believe that it was done to help with the angle of interface between the rack and column. the sub frame was plenty strong but very ugly. if 2002 haus figures out the geometry and offers a subframe for sale incorperating an m42 and a e21 steering rack it would probly be worth the cost to incorperate it in to your project budget than having to deal with the headaches of making it your self. as an aside comment at scr we have been looking at simplistic racecar subframe designs that will accept just about any engine in to an 02 regaurdless of wear the sump is, it also opens up your steering options. but it still includes its fair share of fabrication.

1971 1600-2

1974 2002_Turd

1993 525it

2003 325i

My wife wants the engine out of our 96 z3. So, I sent it to Rob!

Your wife is cool.

Why is the steering box in the way? Is it the oil pan in the way of the drag link?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Let's see... I have invested in the 2002 haus project. To date 1 74 tii,1 E 30, 1 Z3 with the M 44 and the promise of my first grand child to be named later to Robin. I expect to have a supercharged M 44 powering my Pick up in the next 6 months. Rob is repairing the tii. My wife wants the engine out of our 96 z3. So, I sent it to Rob!

Damn, Stuckey! I just can't keep up with your projects any longer. SteveK is going to have to add a second project blog section named "Andy's Projects" just so that we all know the score.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Dave that looks pretty cool. Actually, the first one is for the bosswife, so it will be mated to the 4 speed automatic and be completely stock. I still have to sell some of my other stuff to get to do the supercharged engine in the pick up. I am doing a trailer to go with the pick up and have this tii to do. I don't think I'll be doing much more than that.

where/who has an ITB setup? I was thinking of fabbing one up...

does it use an s14 setup?

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without