• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roll bar installation done!!

fdovargas

what kind of tubing is that? kinda werid how it stretched where you bent it on the main hoop. Almost like exhaust tubing.....

Is that DOM tubing?

Otherwise it looks great! The will be fantastic for sure!

Good work...I love the rear shock mount brace and diff mount. Might have to copy that!

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

what kind of tubing is that? kinda werid how it stretched where you bent it on the main hoop. Almost like exhaust tubing.....

Is that DOM tubing?

Otherwise it looks great! The will be fantastic for sure!

Good work...I love the rear shock mount brace and diff mount. Might have to copy that!

Thanks.

This tube is not for exhaust, because the exhaust tube have few thickness, this tube is made of steel structural for building construction, variable thickness of 2.5-4mm

Aha!! Thats what I thought. Never seen DOM do that.

As long as your racing organization accepts it and you think it's safe....

Here in America they only allow DOM (drawn over mandrel) seamless Tubing on roll cages. They used to allow cro-moly but even that has been outlawed since it really needs to be heat treated after welding.

here some info for anybody that cares....

If there is a visible seam on the tubing, this is ERW tubing and not recommended.

SCCA requires "drawn over mandrel" (DOM) seamless wall tubing. ERW (electric resistance welded) is not legal for SCCA.

ERW starts as a flat sheet of mild steel and it's then rolled and welded. DOM is ERW tubing that has been put through a secondary refining process in which the tubing is "smoothed" out in order to give it a more uniform wall thickness and refine the steels grain structure, strengthening it. This also eliminates ridges where cracks can originate.

Erw has a tendency to collapse and fail in it's seams on impacts where DOM will bend and resist collapsing more more than erw.

DOM tubing is seamless and is about 40% stronger than ERW. DOM tubing is stronger because it is work hardened when it is formed. Some of this extra strength is lost when the tube is welded (in close proximity to the welds), but even in those areas, it is stronger than erw.

In any case if you do have to use ERW you should use a thicker wall than you would when using DOM to compensate.

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

Aha!! Thats what I thought. Never seen DOM do that.

As long as your racing organization accepts it and you think it's safe....

Here in America they only allow DOM (drawn over mandrel) seamless Tubing on roll cages. They used to allow cro-moly but even that has been outlawed since it really needs to be heat treated after welding.

here some info for anybody that cares....

If there is a visible seam on the tubing, this is ERW tubing and not recommended.

Yes, you are right, depending the visible seam, is a fragile point (The most of seam points are reinforced). In my country, in all the race categories, the most of racing cars have the roll bar made by the same manufacturer with the same material.

Many of this racing cars have been overturned and several turns and strong colisions, none has failed the roll bar, this is my guarantee for the quality of work and safe for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...