• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68' Bumper attachment?

Arshloch

My front bumper isn't attached properly and moves around. I cant figure out the way it attaches to the frame. All I see is the two tabs that are pushed in slightly, no bolts, nada. The diagram shows that there supposed to be bolts going into the frame?

That's one of the first 500 02s shipped to the North America in 68', if that helps.

68' 2002 DD

IF it's like my old 68' 2002 there are what are known as carriage bolts that slide into the frame of the car (in those slots you mentioned. They have a domed round flat head with a square flange below the head before the threads to grab the slot).

They protrude out to bolt the bumper brakets too. The bolts don't go through the frame.

WH

Thanks for the input. I seems that on one side there are no bolts at all. Funny.

Mine is a Verona, #1660497, options: radio, the passenger side mirror (may have been installed afterwards) and rear / front fog lights (now gone),

no rear or front seat belts from the factory,no headrests, no sunroof.

it soon will be 40 years old sometime if February.

68' 2002 DD

drop me an e-mail if you'd like a copy. The metric carriage bolts are still available from BMW for like 50 cents each. Buy new ones and put some anti-seize compound on the threads so you can get 'em off again. These same bolts are used to hold the bumper pieces together.

BTW, you have the 496th USA spec 2002 built---they started with 1660001.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

It is Chamonix with a black interior. It was so early it was shipped with a clock, no torsion bars and gum rubber tubes. The dealer retrofitted the tach and bars. Just had the car totally restored and it is pretty close to what it ooked like in 68.

drop me an e-mail if you'd like a copy. The metric carriage bolts are still available from BMW for like 50 cents each. Buy new ones and put some anti-seize compound on the threads so you can get 'em off again. These same bolts are used to hold the bumper pieces together.

BTW, you have the 496th USA spec 2002 built---they started with 1660001.

cheers

mike

Just dropped a message.

Thanks again.

68' 2002 DD