• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REAR DRUM BRAKE ADJUSTMENT

c.d.iesel

The best way I found to consistently get the shoes as tight as possible

without 'em scuffing, heating and binding was to

take my 13mm and 14mm box- end wrenches and

use 2 lug nuts to snug the drum back against the hub.

(this is, of course, with the wheel off)

This keeps the drum from walking off the hub, and lets

me get the shoes nice and tight without them binding when the wheel goes back on.

Also, the wrenches make nice handles for turning the drum to

see if i can hear the shoes just scuffing the drum.

love,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

FROM BMW factory Blue Binder Repair Manual

and the glove-box ~ BMW Owner's handbook

the above is from the E21 320i repair manual - same rear brakes

and procedure

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

FROM BMW factory Blue Binder Repair Manual

and the glove-box ~ BMW Owner's handbook

the above is from the E21 320i repair manual - same rear brakes

and procedure

Would it make sense to get the Bentley Manual for the 320 to work on my 02? The Haynes is just not detailed enough for a NOOB like me.

70 M2 2.5L 

• 5 years later...

Guys I believe I have followed all the steps to properly adjust the rear brakes and I still run into a tightness on the left drake drum that I can not cure yet.

As the new owner of this car I am doing my first brake job on an '02. I have done many brake jobs before and complete replacement of the entire brake systems on a couple of cars in the past. But I'll admit this is my first brake job on an '02.

The previous owner must have dropped the car off to have the brakes done as no consciousness driver would have left the brakes as I found them. Mine is a fairly stock 1970 1600 with the 200mm rear brakes. I have replaced the wheel cylinders, drums, and shoes.

To adjust the passenger side I adjusted the front and rear concentric adjusting bolts to the inner most position. Oh and BTW I made sure there was no tension on the hand brake cable before I started this. I put the drum on and adjusted the bolts as CD and others have clearly explained (Thanks guys!). Presto, in a few turns I think I have properly adjusted one side. The wheel spins but is just at the point where the adjuster will bind it up, 1/8th turn.

Now to the driver's side. Same plan now that I have a method that works. I can get the shoes so I can just pop on the brake drum, but once on it will not turn freely. I find that the front shoe will not go in as far as the cam will allow. I have bleed the excess air and fluid out of the wheel cylinder and ponded the shoes a bit with a rubber mallet and still no go.

What am I missing? Are they always so tight when new?

1970 BMW 1600 Survior

How old are the flexible hoses?

They don't look bad and there is no record from the PO when they were installed. I think I am ok here. I know the real concern is the inside condition, Good input.

Remember the wheel cylinder's have been replaced and I have not really even applied much pressure with the brake pedal. And with the bleeder I have let all the possible pressure out of that wheel.

1970 BMW 1600 Survior

It sounds like the shoe is not sitting against the eccentric correctly. I would take both shoes/springs out, clean things off down to the backing plate and then reinstall. It sounds like whoever last put the shoes/springs in didn't quite get them centered/aligned.

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

It sounds like the shoe is not sitting against the eccentric correctly. I would take both shoes/springs out, clean things off down to the backing plate and then reinstall. It sounds like whoever last put the shoes/springs in didn't quite get them centered/aligned.

I guess that's my next step. I am the one who put it all back together after cleaning and replacing most of the parts. Maybe I did something wrong??

1970 BMW 1600 Survior

there is no bently for an e21, but there is a haynes. no matter, the brakes are identical to a 2002 in operation, any 2002 manual will show what you need. wait...cd already posted the pictures from the factory manual in this thread.....

post pictures of what you have. otherwise we are just guessing.

2xM3