• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy this?? (black powdercoated valve cover)

brucedemuro

Hey everyone!

This valve cover looks to be in pretty good shape, it has been completely powder-coated (black)... so far so good... the thing is that it has been powder coated on both sides in and out (I've never seen this done before on a valve cover). Here's my question, is this good or bad?

Should I buy it or let it pass? My only fear is that maybe the finish will come off eventually inside the block or something. Please tell me what you think guys!

Cheers,

Bruce

Ok, Let her rip!

It depends on how clean the valve cover was when it was coated. If there was enough oil and other assorted scum in the pores of the aluminum you may have areas in the coating where it will sluff off over time. My experience in coating BMW valve covers has been mixed... Some powders work great others look like crap and or fail over time.

From my perspective I would pass on a valve cover that has the bottom surface coated because that leads me to believe that the individual coating it took a short cut or is a relatively inexperienced powder coater. When powder coat fails the part in question will need to be completely stripped and re-coated.

If you do go for it. Please try to look at it in person. The 2002 valve covers tend to off gas (trapped oil) a whole lot which will produce bubbles and other blemishes in the coating that may not show up in a photograph. If you can not look at it in person have the seller send some decent up close photos of the part.

Contact me through the forum for pictures of my good and bad powder coat jobs I've done in the past.

Good Luck ,

Casey

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Guest Anonymous

my cover was done profesionally with some silver paint and if ya look close enough you can see some spots beginning to apear but thats 3 years now since new. It looked perfect when it was new.