• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Busting a nut

Turb02

loose from the crank pulley so I can get the lower timing chain cover off so I can take the crankshaft out, has proven to be a task.

Last night I got a few hours in the garage and decided to pull the block with the clutch/flywheel and oilpan, out of the car, by myself. Now Im not a big guy and I was able to get it out as a whole. IT FITS between the frony sway bar and crossmember. Gettting it thru wasnt very easy though because the only real good spot to grab is the starter hole and lift so the front swings down. Standing on the frame rail passanger side was found the best spot for support

With a little help from my friend Jack, I was able to position him under the crank pulley so I can stand the motor directly up. blah blah the rest is history...Motor on the ground, take off the oil pan, oil pump, pressure plate and clutch, flywheel, and rear main seal(i think).

All in all not a bad 3 hours spent without the right tools to do the job.

Heres the thing, I cant get the crank pulley nut loose to get it off so I can take the rest of the timing cchain cover off so I can get the crank out of the block? It looks to be like a 27-29mm with an allen head in the center.

Does anyone know for sure what size the nut is?

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

Guest Anonymous

I've wedged a piece of wood between the crank shaft and the block (after removing the oil pan) before when trying to remove the nut. It is in tight!

you need an extension on the handle of your breaker bar.

should you be so inclined and have a piece of 3/16 - 1/4 inch thick steel stock lying around, it's possible to fabricate a flywheel lock that'll hold the crank while loosening the crank nut.

i merely took a Sharpie pen and layed the plate next to the flywheel gears and marked where i needed to cut teeth. a cheap grinder and cutoff wheel was what i used to cut the recesses for the teeth. used a small file to fine tune the fit. then i located and drilled two holes corresponding to the starter motor mounts on the engine block which i use to clamp the flywheel lock on.

took about 15-20 minutes to fabricate and works like a charm. i've even loaned it out. you can buy similar tool, but making do is so much more satisfying for me.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

even easier - wedge a very long screw driver or bar across the flywheel bolts and lever them in the opposite direction you are turning the nut. And/or wedge a piece of wood in the starter hole, against the flywheel teeth.

Well since I have removed the flywheel, I will probably use the wood against the crank method. All of these are good ideas and fabrication is out of the question at this point as the wifey doesnt let me spend much time in the garage due to our 4 month old boy needing attention. Although when it gets warmer, he will be in the garage with me handing me tools when I need them! ;)

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

family room...or even better, you could offer to watch the baby and just take the block into baby's room. Just don't grunt real loud while removing the crankshaft nut; you'll wake the baby.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I just removed this nut off of a M30 engine this past weekend, and I can tell you that for all the torque I was putting into it, it didn't want to budge until someone put some heat to it and then hit it with an impact wrench.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

I just removed this nut off of a M30 engine this past weekend, and I can tell you that for all the torque I was putting into it, it didn't want to budge until someone put some heat to it and then hit it with an impact wrench.

Thats uncomforting to hear. I dont really want to take it anywhere until its completely apart and ready for the machine shop

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

I've wedged a piece of wood between the crank shaft and the block (after removing the oil pan) before when trying to remove the nut. It is in tight!

you need an extension on the handle of your breaker bar.

\

100 foot pounds is the spec.. Its a bastard to remove on some cars, and not so on others.