• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 questions - I'm very very excited.

PSloan

Well, I'm the very proud new owner of this baby:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250196836099&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123

Sure, I may have paid too much - but I saw it and had to have it - and that was that.

so some questions -

How is the suspension different than my 2002?

What other differences can I expect??

Is that a long neck diff in the pics?

How hard is it to convert to dual circuit brakes?

I can't wait to get her here. I can't decide if i want to mail on my crusty 72 and make this a turbo - or leave it a stock 1600.

Thoughts??

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Time for me to enter the world of impossible to find parts and overpriced tidbits. YAY!

Another Q - how long were those steering wheels in production? Dashboards?

what's the guys email that I can send the vin to to get all the fun info?

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Congratulations Pat. Some differences are:6-volt with a generator,u-joints rather than CV's on the inside rear,differen't brake booster,dash,non-headrest seats(I believe). My preference would be return it to stock.If you go another route please consider selling the steering wheel. Good-Luck!

Wow, cool find. So how are you planning on getting it back to Texas?

Only the coolest '02 owners have a 1600... ;)

(Oh, and for the record, if mine had the 1.6L motor in it still, I'd seriously consider a completely stock restore.)

'70 1600 - Chamonix - 2.0L + 5-speed

How is the suspension different than my 2002?

What other differences can I expect??

Is that a long neck diff in the pics?

How hard is it to convert to dual circuit brakes?

The suspension is the same other than no sway bars, well set up it has a very light, more tossable feel.

The half-shafts are different, as are the rear hubs. 6volt sytem with a generator, different door latches (tough parts, NLA) low back cam seats; higher reving - you'll want to convert to 5-speed, mechanical clutch.

Can't see the diff, came with a long neck, the front seal can be changed in place - major leak point.

Dual brakes: change complete pedal box, add lines, make holes through inner fender and gromet, don't know if the '02 brakes bolt on or if you have to change strut, mine were alreay there. When you change to an '02 pedal box, the clutch can be changed to hydraulic allowing the five speed.

I think you did good, chrome dash '67s are rare, only a small part of the pie and the progenitor of the '02 series. What ever you do, do not give up the CA black plates, if necessry, they were missing when got the car, right?

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Well, Let me tell you what I would do if I do not return it to stock...

I would revamp the suspension with all poly bushings, bilstein sports, and eibach springs. I would leave the outside as is - and freshen up the orig interior - replacing what is needed.

The engine would be a turbo m10 mated with a 5 speed - and I would use the big brake / rear disc setup I currently have.

I would certainly save all of the orig driveline parts - but from the outside (and inside) it would look like a bone stock 1600. Just not underneath or under the hood.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Wow, cool find. So how are you planning on getting it back to Texas?

Only the coolest '02 owners have a 1600... ;)

(Oh, and for the record, if mine had the 1.6L motor in it still, I'd seriously consider a completely stock restore.)

Grant - I'll be driving to pick this baby up myself.

How is the 1600 coming along? I still miss that car...

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

The 1600 is still patiently waiting for me to finish working on my house so that I can start on it. I'm going to spend the week after Christmas while my wife is gone cleaning out the garage and getting the car ready to drop the front subframe out of so I can fix that rusty frame rail finally!

It's actually my only BMW right now (for the first time in years). I traded in the E46. This summer I'm planning on getting either a 135, or a slightly used 335.

'70 1600 - Chamonix - 2.0L + 5-speed

Awesome grant. Let me know if you need anything.

Question for you guys -

can a 1600 motor power a 5 speed?

Also, does the mechanical clutch transfer over to the 5 speed?

I see the U joints on the diff - so I guess it is a long neck.

I really can't tell you guys how exicted I am about this car.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Wow, I can't believe I missed this one. Steve the seller is a great guy and just up the road. Feel free to stop by on your way through. You may have noticed I am in Major liquidation mode! You might see something laying around that you need. If not, it would be cool to meet a fellow Faq'er all the same.

Small, Fast and Foreign

411 West 21st St.

Chattanooga, TN 37408

(423) 757-0064

Happy Holidays, "Z"

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Hi Pat.

Guys here know me for always looking at improving or modifying our dear BMWs and couldn't usually care less about originality.But this time, if I ever found what you just bought, I would keep it as original as possible. Maybe you need to build two cars. One hot-rod, and one museum piece. The green 1600 being the later.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.