• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 questions - I'm very very excited.

PSloan

Awesome grant. Let me know if you need anything.

Question for you guys -

can a 1600 motor power a 5 speed?

Also, does the mechanical clutch transfer over to the 5 speed?

I see the U joints on the diff - so I guess it is a long neck.

I really can't tell you guys how exicted I am about this car.

1600 with five speed is great combination, I'm on my second, do not put on a one-barrel weber, it isn't big enough, stick with the solex. I have retained the 3 finger clutch when converting to a five speed (the flywheel is different) but the five speed uses a slave cylinder, not mechnical. The d/s is different, has three donuts. Gotta go to work now, I'm envious too, Good luck.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Pat.

Guys here know me for always looking at improving or modifying our dear BMWs and couldn't usually care less about originality.But this time, if I ever found what you just bought, I would keep it as original as possible. Maybe you need to build two cars. One hot-rod, and one museum piece. The green 1600 being the later.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just can't afford to do both.

I'd really hate to sell all the turbo stuff I've been collecting, too.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

[

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just can't afford to do both.

I'd really hate to sell all the turbo stuff I've been collecting, too.

well, seems like you got yourself into a pickle. of those of us who've responded, it appears that the majority is hoping you keep this car original, and i agree.

there are still plenty of shells and half-baked unfinished projects available to do your turbo swap later, at another time, but, as has been stated, (since you asked, btw), this is a rare survivor.

why not just swallow up the purchase and delivery cost for the time being and put this guy in the corner under wraps. FINISH your current project and get the Turbo out of your system then reassess your options. you'll be saving a potential collector's item by NOT messing with it, and you can get the satisfaction of actually COMPLETING a project. the danger is, is that you could disassemble this car, then "life gets in the way" and you are stuck with two disassembled projects. i'm speaking from experience, btw. although, i do eventually complete what i start.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Jerry - I have a plan. Albeit a strange one.

I cannot abandon the car I currently have because my wife bought it for me for christmas.

I've always enjoyed the "hoodride" or "ratrod" idea - so I will reassemble it on the cheap with rusty parts and keep it looking like the pile of shit it is - but drop in my turbo stuff and have a blast until it falls apart.

Cost -

Intercooler piping, misc hardware and turbo exhaust (straight pipe)

I have everything else to get the job done.

At that point I will get moving on my dream car - a bone stock 1600.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Cool!

My first '02 was a stock 1600 (with a header of some manufacture). They are an absolute blast to drive in stock form!

Dig the solid metal interior door handles too!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Since you can make the turbo pieces fit on most any 2002, if you have to sell the '72, keep the turbo-unique bits, put 'em in a box in the attic and wait...eventually you'll finish the 1600 and have the time and $$ for a turbo project, and you'll have all the difficult pieces.

I accumulated parts for a Renault 4CV convertible restoration for years before I even found the car, knowing I would find one eventually and then need parts.

And way to go on the 1600--keep it original.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

well merry christmas to you then! - how exciting!

hope you try to revive the 1600 power plant,

and keep it a tru 1600.

Keep us posted with progress photos

1607_1.JPG

CD - this is the most positive post I've ever seen from you for a non running car. I was expecting you to tell me it was a $100 car.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

take some pictures for me of the stock intake manifold/carb setup. My 68 2002 has a 32/36 and I'm collecting parts to return to stock. I'd like to see how that intake manifold and associated components compares to the later single barrel ones. And if you decide you want to change these bits out--I'd be happy to trade a complete 32/36 setup (freshly rebuilt carb too).

Nice car!

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Congratulations!

You should be VERY excited!

Finding a relatively complete 1600 California black plate car is rare -- even here in the great state of California. Looks to be Caribe Blue, a gorgeous color when it's all shiny.

Wow! the pictures tell quite a tale of how unmoplested this one is after forty years...the bumpers look good, the red center taillights and flat front markers are still in place and the chrome dash bits are all in a row...

...the console is still there with a vintage radio...dash, steering wheel and gauges, too!

Here's what I'd do:

Spend some time tinkering with it "as-is" to see if it will run. Clean out the fluids, do the brakes and whatever else it needs to be roadworthy. Be frugal about how much you spend.

Then DRIVE IT!

If you can get it to run and drive, you might be surprised how little it needs in terms of real "restoration." There are show classes for "unrestored" cars, and I've seen a few "untouched, as-found barn cars" from the twenties that have been made to run, but have their original, tired paint and upholstery intact. They are real crowd-pleasers at shows. (*Note to Mike Self: Shades of "Crusty")

If it still doesn't appeal to you, see what a bit of rubbing compound and wax can do.

If it's not fast enough, find some twin carbs fro a 1600ti or some early Alpina bits. How about some nice Alpina Steelies? Nothing wrong with some bigger brakes from a tii or a five speed, either.

Good Luck!

Delia

P.S. Dump that Turbo project. You could hurt yourself.

:)

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Congrats! I'm glad to see that this one will go to somebody who can appreciate it. Take a lot of pictures as you go along. I think you'll enjoy seeing all the little differences of the earlier cars. You can see what the original design was like. Keep us posted on your progress. You'll be helping to keep me motived on my '67 project. And don't forget that 02s are small and appreciate having company.

IMG_2018Sm.JPG

Have fun!

Karl

'73 2002tii

'68 1600-2

'67 1600-2

'65 1800TI

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

and has a completely stock 1 bbl setup if you need pix or descriptions. May have some parts too. Drop me an e-mail with your needs.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite