• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 questions - I'm very very excited.

PSloan

You might want to talk to fellow FAQ board member, pbryantr.

I sold him an early 1600 along that I purchased off of Ebay. It was sitting in a Kansas wheatfield. He's in the process of restoring it. He's also, I believe....in Texas.

I've had at least 2 of those early steering wheels. People do love them. To me however, they remind me too much of 60's American cars.

I do love the early 1600's, particularly the chrome dash and the position of the hazard lights. Oh, and the console is so cool.

Jerry

Yeah bryant and I go way back. He's a cool dude - Last I heard he had gotten another volvo - but was still restoring the 1600.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looked more like turf green to me - am I wrong?

Yeah, prolly Turf.

Caribe is blue.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Patrick,

as I preach often - what ever you paid is your business,

and in this case - I do think that this 'original' time piece

is wurth what ever you felt it was wurth.

Looking from the rear underneath I see the earliest

axle half shafts - and they might give some trouble

for availability. Make a detailed list of all the tired parts,

and start an itemized estimate - just mechanical for a start.

Try to free up the motor with oil flushing, MARVEL MYSTERY

OIL SOAKING thru the spark plug holes, examine the fuel system

for rust and leaks - and try to get the motor running - just to see of any serious damage lurks within. Everyone here is excited for

this - a very early production car. And as Mike suggested earlier,

store all your 'go fast parts' for a later day. I stored new 02mudflaps

for a few years, then found 'my car' .

have funn with IT.

C.d.

1a7e_1.JPG

1-7950484.JPG

2-5965273.JPG

2-5565409.JPG

2-2171312.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I'm going to be in Houston in January -- haven't yet settled on a date. I usually stay either at the Houstonian by Galleria, or at the Hotel ZaZa in the Museum District. Are either of those places near to you? I'd like to drop in, meet, see your rides, etc.

patrick,

the original steering wheel is the piece de resistance, bear in mind if you keep it all original even down to the factory rubber bushings on the suspension, it will drive like a dream. there are not too many early 1600's so pls do not butcher it!

have you ever driven a bone stock '02? i had one years ago and i enjoyed so much as it was nice to drive even for daily use. not like a modded '02 which bites especially with a hot motor and a stiff suspension and urethane bushings all around (ooh they are so stiff and they squeak like crazy!).

yes you can do two projects at the same time, just do the resto on the 1600 nice and slow and take your time and just do all the mods you want to do on your '02.

cheers,

dave

More than likely you have all the mount points for the front sway bar. It was a pretty simple add on for my 68 1600. The stock rear subframe and trailing arms don't have the sway bar mount points. Mines been a driver for the last 30 years and I put in a 74 transmission with all good synchros, matching drive line, newer rear subframe - mounting a 320 i LSD, and rear sway bar. I often have the wife and or kids in the car and inertia seat belts and seats with head rests make for much better comfort and safety. Your dash is a three piece. If yours is cracked you might find one in a shed if you look long and hard or get lucky. Just Dashes will rebuild but it'll cost you. I'm not worried about diluting the collector value of my ride with the changes I've made. I'm instructing my family to buy me in mine when I check out.

Let me join the crowd here in congratulating you on a great find, Pat!

I agree with the comments on how sweet it is to drive a stock 1600. My first '02 30 years ago was a stock '70 1600.

Take it slow and do it well. You'll end up with a gem. Keep us posted on your progress when you begin your resto process!

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

You might want to talk to fellow FAQ board member, pbryantr.

I sold him an early 1600 along that I purchased off of Ebay. It was sitting in a Kansas wheatfield. He's in the process of restoring it. He's also, I believe....in Texas.

I've had at least 2 of those early steering wheels. People do love them. To me however, they remind me too much of 60's American cars.

I do love the early 1600's, particularly the chrome dash and the position of the hazard lights. Oh, and the console is so cool.

Jerry

Yeah bryant and I go way back. He's a cool dude - Last I heard he had gotten another volvo - but was still restoring the 1600.

Hey Jerry and Pat,

Haven't been on this board in a while since Pat alerted me to this thread. Good job Pat! I got promoted and have been working hard so I never have time to lurk on these pages.

Yep I still have the 1600. I'm still slowly acquiring parts but my time and effort is now more and more into my house. (We purchased a 1939 house last year -- you don't know a car restoration until you do a house restoration!). As for cars, I'm going to sell my Volvo 242 soon since I picked up a sweet 245 wagon (parts hauler).

I still need a good 1600 block -- the McGinns had a NOS block a few years ago but they sold it and Biscus' keeper doesn't have a line on any more blocks. (Andy, if you're interested in discussing that block you have, please please please e-mail me off-board at pbryantrATyahooDOTcom.)

Granted, my car isn't in as great shape as Pat's find, so that gives me more license to do whatever I need. I plan tasteful mods, but I know "tasteful" is in the eyes of the beholder. However, since Pat's is close to original, I am in the "keep it original" camp, unless you get bored and decide on slight tasteful mods, in which case I'd agree on the 2-barrel carb and 5 speed swap mentioned before

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Bryant

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If you ever have any questions and or need help in tracking down some rare bits and pieces never hesitate to drop me a line.... tjones02 at hotmail dot com...... If I had the money I would restore every early 1600-2 I lay my eyes on, until then I'll keep finding more and more inventive places to put them all. :-)

Don't be afraid to change a few things here and there.... like short neck diff/subframe so you can get a five speed in there.... I second BarryA's opinion.... but... on the other hand keeping my '66 6-Volt was/is lots-o-fun (I will get it back on the road one of these days....!)

My 1600-2 VIN's....

'66 1508028

'67 1528923

'67 1530962

'68 1560847

see the http://www.bmw2002registry.com for pictures... the pic for the '66 is pre big front end accident and the "152" car is supposed to be the donor for the front sheet metal.

It looks like my "152" car is only a few hundred newer than yours...

My "Red" is what the Muscle car and V-Dub guys call Rat Rod Resto Custom... but will get painted and may even have pig cheek flares one of these days! :-)

My "156" car still had the remote booster brakes....

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20