• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 questions - I'm very very excited.

PSloan

thanks guys - very much! The word is it will be here january 30th from alabama.

Otis - shoot me an email about coming down to houston.

badsk8r at hotmail dot com

thanks guys - and I'll keep you posted!!

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Patrick,

Congratulations on your 1600; last September I found and purchased a very similar 1968 1600 (CA black plate, VIN 1562154) in Oakland CA. My car had not run for many many years but is ‘rust free’ and essentially complete. After a couple of weekends, lots of elbow grease we got it running well enough to confirm the engine, transmission and most of the brakes worked (and it could still smoke the rear tires).

When I bought this car I was looking for a small light weight sedan that was worth restoring and fun to drive to convert to a BEV (battery electric vehicle). The 1600 fit the bill, will be my first BMW and my wife liked it! I plan to restore the car to original appearance but replace the drive-train with an AC motor and state of the art batteries.

In parallel with the EV aspects of this project I need to upgrade the suspension (the left rear drum was missing and replaced with 4 washers on each stud), restore/replace the seats and strip and repaint the body. While most conversions put the flywheel on the electric motor and bolt it to the front of the transmission I am hoping to eliminate the entire drivetrain (flywheel, clutch, transmission, driveshaft and long-neck differential) and mount a new AC motor and differential to the rear subframe. If that works my transmission, driveshaft and differential are available for trade.

This thread and the community look like they will be quite valuable for my restoration. I have started a site with pictures and will try to add more soon. http://www.geocities.com/dhanzel/Home.html

Fortuitously a neighbor just gave me his scrunched 1988 325, is it possible to use the 325’s rear discs on the 1600? The seats?

Thanks,

David Hanzel

Palo Alto, California

dhanzel AT pacbell DOT net

I apologize in advance to anyone offended that I would electrify such a fine car; I promise to do a good job and when I am done it should be both fast and cool.

Patrick,

Congratulations on your 1600; last September I found and purchased a very similar 1968 1600 (CA black plate, VIN 1562154) in Oakland CA. My car had not run for many many years but is ‘rust free’ and essentially complete. After a couple of weekends, lots of elbow grease we got it running well enough to confirm the engine, transmission and most of the brakes worked (and it could still smoke the rear tires).

When I bought this car I was looking for a small light weight sedan that was worth restoring and fun to drive to convert to a BEV (battery electric vehicle). The 1600 fit the bill, will be my first BMW and my wife liked it! I plan to restore the car to original appearance but replace the drive-train with an AC motor and state of the art batteries.

In parallel with the EV aspects of this project I need to upgrade the suspension (the left rear drum was missing and replaced with 4 washers on each stud), restore/replace the seats and strip and repaint the body. While most conversions put the flywheel on the electric motor and bolt it to the front of the transmission I am hoping to eliminate the entire drivetrain (flywheel, clutch, transmission, driveshaft and long-neck differential) and mount a new AC motor and differential to the rear subframe. If that works my transmission, driveshaft and differential are available for trade.

This thread and the community look like they will be quite valuable for my restoration. I have started a site with pictures and will try to add more soon. http://www.geocities.com/dhanzel/Home.html

Fortuitously a neighbor just gave me his scrunched 1988 325, is it possible to use the 325’s rear discs on the 1600? The seats?

Thanks,

David Hanzel

Palo Alto, California

dhanzel AT pacbell DOT net

I apologize in advance to anyone offended that I would electrify such a fine car; I promise to do a good job and when I am done it should be both fast and cool.

post-8123-13667585578364_thumb.jpg