• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALPINA 2002 (Plug mold for front fender)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Here is the (near) end result of many experiments and a whole bunch of time. PU expandable foam applied to the fender then carved to shape. The whole thing is still a little on the fat side - cant take it any farther until I have the tires mounted on the front wheels (next week) then drop it on the ground. Its going to be BMW's turn at the Monterey Historics again one of these years soon (last was 1996) and I want to be ready when that happens.

295523314.jpg

295523306.jpg

295523302.jpg

295523298.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous

Here is the (near) end result of many experiments and a whole bunch of time. PU expandable foam applied to the fender then carved to shape. The whole thing is still a little on the fat side - cant take it any farther until I have the tires mounted on the front wheels (next week) then drop it on the ground. Its going to be BMW's turn at the Monterey Historics again one of these years soon (last was 1996) and I want to be ready when that happens.

295523314.jpg

295523306.jpg

295523302.jpg

295523298.jpg

Hi Mark,

It looks nice. Not to tell you what to do but if thats the plug for the mold make sure it's about 1/2" wider than you need because the mold shrinks and sometimes deforms I am not an expert but I had to do my front fenders over because of shrinkage. Good luck with it I know its not fun I hate working with fiberglass.

John

Hi Mark,

It looks nice. Not to tell you what to do but if thats the plug for the mold make sure it's about 1/2" wider than you need because the mold shrinks and sometimes deforms I am not an expert but I had to do my front fenders over because of shrinkage. Good luck with it I know its not fun I hate working with fiberglass.

John

post-6936-13667585562077_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

The wheels are 3- Piece ALPINA / BBS. Alpina cast magnesium centers and BBS inner/outer sheels, use BBS ")" rings and BBS hardware. The centers have long (long) been NLA. I have never even actually seen a set for sale in the 15" diamter second hand (a few of the 13" have come up in the last 6 months on German Ebay, the last set I believe sold in excess of 2000 Eur if I recall correctly).

Guest Anonymous

The wheels are 3- Piece ALPINA / BBS. Alpina cast magnesium centers and BBS inner/outer sheels, use BBS ")" rings and BBS hardware. The centers have long (long) been NLA. I have never even actually seen a set for sale in the 15" diamter second hand (a few of the 13" have come up in the last 6 months on German Ebay, the last set I believe sold in excess of 2000 Eur if I recall correctly).

Guest Anonymous

John, thanks for the advice. I am at the point where I may actually take it to one of the local experts (before I ruin what I have done), option "B" may be to send them off to someone and have them fabricated out of steel. They were not originally steel, however since they wouldn't be the "original" itme anyway in Fiberglass I am not sure it really matters (if it isn't the original item anymore ..... it just isn't regardless of what it is constructed of). What is most important is that the shape of the flare/fender is replicated - which I think I am really pretty near to doing. What I am finding now are some differences between the white 1974 car and the black 1975 car (75 car had a rounded arch where the 1974 car had a squared off arch).

Guest Anonymous

John, thanks for the advice. I am at the point where I may actually take it to one of the local experts (before I ruin what I have done), option "B" may be to send them off to someone and have them fabricated out of steel. They were not originally steel, however since they wouldn't be the "original" itme anyway in Fiberglass I am not sure it really matters (if it isn't the original item anymore ..... it just isn't regardless of what it is constructed of). What is most important is that the shape of the flare/fender is replicated - which I think I am really pretty near to doing. What I am finding now are some differences between the white 1974 car and the black 1975 car (75 car had a rounded arch where the 1974 car had a squared off arch).

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, I do. At this point I am pretty sure I have just about everything that was published on the car (that being said I am sure that there are no doubt some I dont have). I just learned recently that the car was displayed at the 1974 Geneva Auto Show by ALPINA which I think is pretty cool.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=74fuely&Submit.x=15&Submit.y=6&Submit=Go