• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chris Willet's carpet kit installed today

BillWilliams

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Bill.. Nice Kit and install job. Do you have a contact for Chris's kit? Nice corgy too . Here's my "SKYE"... H@PPY NEW YEAR..

Doug M.

1974 2002

1989 325iX

1991318is

www.only02.com/Carpet-Kits_c_4.html

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hey Bill.. Nice Kit and install job. Do you have a contact for Chris's kit? Nice corgy too . Here's my "SKYE"... H@PPY NEW YEAR..

Doug M.

1974 2002

1989 325iX

1991318is

www.only02.com/Carpet-Kits_c_4.html

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Nice job, Bill. I didn't know you had a Corgi. You have to have a Corgi if you have an 02, they just go together.

Our Corgi's (a tri-color from NC, and a sable from NV) Magee and Sophie

Pictures2019a.jpg

Pictures2132.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Nice job, Bill. I didn't know you had a Corgi. You have to have a Corgi if you have an 02, they just go together.

Our Corgi's (a tri-color from NC, and a sable from NV) Magee and Sophie

Pictures2019a.jpg

Pictures2132.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

He also sent me some instructions that were obvious and simple.

The only adjustment I made was to the piece that fits on the rocker panel. Chris binds the edge that presses up against the "vertical" seam of the rocker. The vertical seam on the rocker is the seam where the threshold clips to. Chris's instructions makes it clear that the carpet can not go above it or the threshold will not clip on properly. He also says the carpet can not go in between the seat bracket and the seat sliders.

So, in order to make both of those things happen, I had to trim about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the carpet where it meets the vertical seam. What I did was remove the slider, of course, but I also removed the seat adjustment device by unscrewing the three counter sunk screws. This allowed me to have a nice flat surface to work on. I positioned the piece of carpet over the seat bracket and rocker, made sure it was positioned correctly front to back, put the slider back on. As I positioned the slider, I made sure the stitching on the carpet piece was right up against the slider, remember, no carpet under the slider, vinyl is ok. I cut the opening for the adjustment handle.

Made the trim cut from tape to tape

P1060001.jpg

Missed the cut on the carpet binding by 1/4 inch to make it perfect, but you get the idea, the pinch welt is from McMaster Carr.

P1060002.jpg

Now with all of this in place, I worked the carpet down into the crevices of the seat bracket, surprising how much carpet that takes up when you work it down in the cracks. When I did that, it seemed I had too much carpet and had to cut the carpet just at the binding as I said earlier. It is hard to explain, I only cut it off from the front of the seat bracket to the end of the rear of the threshold.

Glued it down with 3M Spray Trim Adhesive 90 and all is good.

The tunnel piece also required some slight trimming around the e-brake bracket, but no big deal.

About the shop dog, most folks have multiple 2002s and multiple Corgis. We have resisted the multiple Corgi thing, Duchess is the only one. She is really a great dog and manage she does! She has us trained.

It would be nice if people were as honorable, loyal and loving as dogs.....

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

He also sent me some instructions that were obvious and simple.

The only adjustment I made was to the piece that fits on the rocker panel. Chris binds the edge that presses up against the "vertical" seam of the rocker. The vertical seam on the rocker is the seam where the threshold clips to. Chris's instructions makes it clear that the carpet can not go above it or the threshold will not clip on properly. He also says the carpet can not go in between the seat bracket and the seat sliders.

So, in order to make both of those things happen, I had to trim about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the carpet where it meets the vertical seam. What I did was remove the slider, of course, but I also removed the seat adjustment device by unscrewing the three counter sunk screws. This allowed me to have a nice flat surface to work on. I positioned the piece of carpet over the seat bracket and rocker, made sure it was positioned correctly front to back, put the slider back on. As I positioned the slider, I made sure the stitching on the carpet piece was right up against the slider, remember, no carpet under the slider, vinyl is ok. I cut the opening for the adjustment handle.

Made the trim cut from tape to tape

P1060001.jpg

Missed the cut on the carpet binding by 1/4 inch to make it perfect, but you get the idea, the pinch welt is from McMaster Carr.

P1060002.jpg

Now with all of this in place, I worked the carpet down into the crevices of the seat bracket, surprising how much carpet that takes up when you work it down in the cracks. When I did that, it seemed I had too much carpet and had to cut the carpet just at the binding as I said earlier. It is hard to explain, I only cut it off from the front of the seat bracket to the end of the rear of the threshold.

Glued it down with 3M Spray Trim Adhesive 90 and all is good.

The tunnel piece also required some slight trimming around the e-brake bracket, but no big deal.

About the shop dog, most folks have multiple 2002s and multiple Corgis. We have resisted the multiple Corgi thing, Duchess is the only one. She is really a great dog and manage she does! She has us trained.

It would be nice if people were as honorable, loyal and loving as dogs.....

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Ginger was looking over my shoulder as I scrolled through your post, and of course the one thing she commented on was the Corgi. Her family had one while she was growing up. If our student had surprised us with one of them instead of a white pug-like fluffball two weeks ago, we might have wound up keeping it.

P2 is coming along nicely; I haven't had time to follow your progress closely, but I hope to see it and you at some '02 get-together next year!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Ginger was looking over my shoulder as I scrolled through your post, and of course the one thing she commented on was the Corgi. Her family had one while she was growing up. If our student had surprised us with one of them instead of a white pug-like fluffball two weeks ago, we might have wound up keeping it.

P2 is coming along nicely; I haven't had time to follow your progress closely, but I hope to see it and you at some '02 get-together next year!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler