• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need To Replace Blasting Media, What to Use?

justinevert

Ok, I need some help on this, I posted this a few weeks ago and got Squat.

I need to replace the glass media with fresh blasting media with the following charateristic:

Does not score, etched or basically damage the part being blasted

Minimal dust emission both inside the cabin for visibility (I like to see what I am working on rather than the Braile method) as well as outside I have to use masks not to breathe the stuff (Yes I already replaced the seals in the cabin)

Not harmful and must be enviromentally friendly (Well Duh!)

So far I have seen the following:

Glass beads, is there a particular size or weight

Baking Soda

Walnut Shells, again is there a size/weight preference

Finally besides Northern Tool and Harbor Frieght, where else to get it. I have tried PepBoys and AutoZone

Need so help, I have a lot of blasting to do

Thanks as always!

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

Ok, I need some help on this, I posted this a few weeks ago and got Squat.

I need to replace the glass media with fresh blasting media with the following charateristic:

Does not score, etched or basically damage the part being blasted

Minimal dust emission both inside the cabin for visibility (I like to see what I am working on rather than the Braile method) as well as outside I have to use masks not to breathe the stuff (Yes I already replaced the seals in the cabin)

Not harmful and must be enviromentally friendly (Well Duh!)

So far I have seen the following:

Glass beads, is there a particular size or weight

Baking Soda

Walnut Shells, again is there a size/weight preference

Finally besides Northern Tool and Harbor Frieght, where else to get it. I have tried PepBoys and AutoZone

Need so help, I have a lot of blasting to do

Thanks as always!

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

google: National Abrasives

No.24 glass bead is fine for medium to light rust and is easier on your spray nozzle.

aluminum oxide grit (220) is better for heavy rust and is quicker than glass bead, it's more aggressive and will.

do NOT use either of these on shiny aluminum trim pieces, but you CAN use either on aluminum bits on the engine without problem.

i blast steel parts at 60-80 psi with aluminum oxide

and glass bead at 40-60 psi.

use a vacuum cleaner to clear the air within the chamber

Trinco is a maker of reasonably priced cabinets and filter systems. they are a supplier to Dayton and i bet Eastwood, too.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

google: National Abrasives

No.24 glass bead is fine for medium to light rust and is easier on your spray nozzle.

aluminum oxide grit (220) is better for heavy rust and is quicker than glass bead, it's more aggressive and will.

do NOT use either of these on shiny aluminum trim pieces, but you CAN use either on aluminum bits on the engine without problem.

i blast steel parts at 60-80 psi with aluminum oxide

and glass bead at 40-60 psi.

use a vacuum cleaner to clear the air within the chamber

Trinco is a maker of reasonably priced cabinets and filter systems. they are a supplier to Dayton and i bet Eastwood, too.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa