• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 1600 turns over!

PSloan

I found a battery for it last night at advance auto. It was a tractor battery - but fits nicely. I funneled some oil into the pressure sensor, put some MM oil in the cylinders - changed the oil and cleaned the spark plugs. I'm 99% sure the head is rebuilt - everything inside looks new. so, I popped the battery in and checked the lights. They all work - but each of the knobs crumbled in my hand. when I tried to chack the horn - the pad cracked. the motor spins fine but the starter is weak. Don't know how I'll get a new 6v starter. I'll pull the carb, rebuild it, and flush the fuel system soon. than maybe get it started?

An additional bonus - the heater fan works!

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

1. Make sure it's the starter--clean the battery terminals at both ends, insure grounds are good etc etc. and check voltage at starter while someone turns the key to start.

2. If it is the starter...a whine while cranking indicates a possible loose rear armature bushing. It's pressed into a plastic sleeve which crumbles with age. That causes the bushing to spin with the armature, causing significant drag. If you find this, drop me an email and I'll send you an old column on how to fix with hardware store parts.

3. If you dismantle the starter, you can replace the brushes (available from Bosch, and I'll bet they're the same as those on a 6V Beetle) and you may find the armature is the same as a 6V Beetle's.

4. You can always take your starter to a local auto-electric shop for a rebuild. If you absolutely can't find one locally, we have a good one here in Beavercreek that's used to doing uncommon items...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

is pushing against a compression stroke...

Still, it could be what I mentioned above, so I'd check battery cables and grounds first simply to eliminate an easy-to-fix problem before launching into the starter. An auto electric shop can test the starter for you to determine if it has a problem.

If you've never owned a 6V car, you should understand that 6V electrics just aren't as powerful as 12V, which is why manufacturers changed over to begin with--have you ever heard an early 50s Cadillac or Lincoln (6V) being started hot? They crank very slowly, and that's normal. Make sure you actually have a problem before "fixing" it.

cheers

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You didn't mention the gas--old gas probably wont combust very well, if at all.

Try some spray starting fluid at the carb and see if it will fire. (get help with this) You can always construct a safe alternate fuel source to supply the fuel if you suspect the tank needs drained and cleaned. If the fuel system is apart, try shooting some compressed air to clean out the fuel line -- I did this on my Ford Falcon that sat for 8 years--it was full of yucky gas. If you get it running reliably--try some seafoam--do a search or google it--it might help clean out the crud.

Good luck!

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

probably be a very good idea to start working on the vinyl interior bits with a good vinyl cleaner/protectant like Vinylex before you spend much time sitting in the seats or exposing the dash and other parts to the sun - you can't completely reverse brittleness in the vinyl, but you can help to replace some of the "plasticizers" that have been cooked out.

A couple of years ago, I pulled an uncracked E21 dash out of a car at P&P that had come down from Oregon to install in my 320 - cleaned it with Vinylex (after washing the dirt off) and got tons of black vinyl residue off the surface. The amount of residue gradually decreased over several weeks of retreating it every few days - now it's got a nice, smooth black matte finish like a new dash pad, and the best part is that it has never cracked, despite two summers in the Sacramento sun and heat.........

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

the interior is pretty much shot. I'm sending the seats to Al to re cover in black and I'm getting some new door panels. I may have him send me new covers and ill restuff and recover them myself. I'm going to try to smooth out the dash and hand stitch it in leather or vinyl - same with the center console.

as for the fuel system - I'm going to drain the gas tank, blow out the lines, rebuild the carb, prime it and try to kick it off with some starting fluid. I'll check the pump too. eventhough it is a later sealed unit.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

the large brass pipe that sticks up thru the air cleaner floor--it's the float chamber vent, and you can use it to fill the float chamber with gas, using a small funnel and a few tablespoons of fuel. The engine should then start and run long enough to get the fuel pump going.

mike

Guest Anonymous

P

Remember I have a 6v parts car with all the goodies on it She is an early 68!!!!! I have no way of testing any of the 6v stuff but as far as cores for rebuild I got them.

Sam