• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More rear seat delete ?'s

JHG762002

As you can see by the photo's I need to delete the rear seat. I have been following the latest threads and searched etc... But I was wondering if folks usually glue the carpet directly to the 'backrest' area of the seat, or is it neccesarry to glue the carpet to a plywood back the same as would be done to the bottom part of the seat. The photos seem to show a few people have opted for free floating carpet. Unfortunately that won't work with Rosco, it will need to be pretty well secured.

post-1321-13667586015885_thumb.jpg

post-1321-136675860221_thumb.jpg

post-1321-13667586023765_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

Looks like Roscoe needs to stay at home. : )

I'm not sure what others have done about their rear seat deletes but I had to comment about Roscoe.

Looks like he gets a little excited in the back seat. Is that during autocrosses that he does that or when he sees female dogs in other cars? Hahaha.

Good luck.

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik

I see a business opportunity-

For those people that want to delete the rear seat but can't justify removing a perfectly good rear seat, might I suggest...

Roscoe's Rear Seat Delete Service

"If there's a rear seat, I can delete it."

Woof.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

The seat deleting is more of a passion for Rosco, I doubt he would accept payment. I've tried leaving him at home....... but the beast is hard to contain. In his defense the seat was already cracked and falling apart to begin with. He just finished the job.

post-1321-13667586025864_thumb.jpg

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

I have seen this in a Mini so it can be done. You will need to make a template. Cut a piece od 1/2 board for the bottom. That way it will support him. You can do the same for the rear that way if he tears it up all you are out is some plyboard and carpet. The bottom should just sit there and if you are good you can make the back fit in and bolt to where the back rest was.

to answer your question...you'll get a better look by cutting a piece of plywood or whatever you want yo use and gluing the carpet to that...otherwise by gluing directly to the sheet metal you'll have to flatten the seat retainers and have a few lumps that will show because of the "non-flat" surface

if you find the thread and look at mine...it took me about 10 minutes to make the backer board then i glued and wrapped the carpet around the edges and stapled on the rear side of the board

love the pootch BTW....

what a sad old bunch of dog lovers we are.

I was thinking of having a fold down seat in order to cater for the occasional rear human passenger and the more frequent hairy variety. Having a fold down flat/hard surface would also be handy for transporting stuff (911-esque).

Anyone done a fold down seat?

post-149-13667586038009_thumb.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg