• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center console sides recovered - Slackey method

BillWilliams

slightly revised.

Original post http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,294565/highlight,handmade/

I was a the point of refurbishing the interior when SLACKEY posted his new console of 1/2 MDF and vinyl. I printed the article, bought the wife a sewing machine for Christmas and waited. Then last week posed the idea of her sewing me some covers for my console.

Here is the result.

We took some liberties with SLACKEY's method. The lumber stores around me only would sell 4'x8' sheets of MDF. So, I took the original side pieces and handed them to "Betsy Ruth". Joann's fabric had two types of black vinyl, one with a cloth backing and a marine grade vinyl. (I used the marine grade to cover my trunk panels, it seems to be tougher but has quite a sheen to it) I used the cloth back variety for the console side pieces.

Here is what she did:

Laid the console on the back side of the vinyl and drew a pattern 1/8" larger than the original console, that is the line she sewed on. On the bottom of the side piece, she allowed for about 1 1/2" extra material.

Centerconsole2.jpg

Centerconsole3.jpg

She drew another line about 1/2" on the outside of the pattern line, that is the line she cut on.

She laid two pieces of fabric together, seamstresses know what she did, then cut on the outer line. Then she carefully sewed the two pieces together on the pattern line. She was careful when she turned the corners when she was sewing, releasing the pressure foot on the sewing machine and turning the material, then putting the pressure foot back down.

Centerconsole1.jpg

She did not sew the bottom two pieces together.

About the bottom, I may not be able to splain this one well, On the outside piece of fabric, the one that is 1 1/2 longer she left that alone. On the inside piece, that is 1/2" longer than the pattern line, she hemmed that to the pattern line. Now when you put the two pieces together, this becomes important.

Assembly:

She turned the sewn pieces inside out, now the vinyl is on the outside, the cloth backing on the inside. (for those of us that have never sewn, that is the way you make material join, you sew them together inside out, then when you invert them, you only see the seam)

She used a stick, almost like a chop stick to push out the corners.

Both of us then slipped the new cover over the side piece. It fit perfectly.

Centerconsole4.jpg

Centerconsole5.jpg

Now at the bottom. I stretched the outside piece over the bottom lapping that 1 1/2" to the back side. Stretched tightly, I used a staple gun with 1/4" inch staples and stapled that 1 1/2 to the back side.

Now to the edge of the hem and the edge of the piece I just stapled down, I applied contact cement, waited 20 minutes and glued the hem to the other piece. Now the cover is secured and you do not see any fasteners or staples.

Sidepanel6.jpg

Sidepanel1.jpg

Now, I need to put holes in the vinyl to attach the front and top piece. I am using a full front piece with a radio, gauges and two switches. That will come later,

About the holes, you need to cut the vinyl with something before drilling holes or it will twist the vinyl and ruin it. Wish I knew some way to cut nice small round holes in vinyl once it is on a soft surface, thinking on that one.

Hope this helps someone who needs to refresh a console. I forgot how much the vinyl was or how much I used. Maybe a yard? I signed up to be on Joann's mailing list and got the vinyl half price. I may have $12 into the two side pieces.

Thanks to Slackey in San Diego for his inspiration and to "Betsy Ruth" for her sewing skills.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Gorgeous work, as always Bill. I'll be doing the same thing in the coming weeks, but I may have another trick up my sleeve to improve upon the method ;)

Wish I knew some way to cut nice small round holes in vinyl once it is on a soft surface, thinking on that one.

This is gonna sounds nuts, but use a soldering iron. Make sure the tip is nice and clean (may want to buy a new one) turn it on low-temp, and just poke it into the vinyl. It has the added benefit of sealing the edge so you don't have to worry about any fraying or jagged edges for screws to catch.

Of course, test it on a piece of scrap first...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Go Ruth! If she wants to do more of these, I am sure there is a commercial market.

For making holes, how about heating up something like an awl or icepick and poking a hole with that?

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport