• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Engine Progress

Mike_R

My mechanic called the other day to ask me to come by and see the progress. He had my new head (new E21 casting, 282 cam, all new valve train parts, etc.) assembled. My was block back from the machine shop bored to my new pistons, new freeze plugs, block painted & decked, and a balanced crank, balaced conecting rods, new rings and all that good stuff. Now I will need all new bearings, gaskets, studs, oil & water pumps, clutch, resurface the flywheel, and install an electric fuel pump. Oh and don't forget labor. Wow it sure adds up fast!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$2500 and rising fast.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

I got the head, and most of the valve train myself in various places, it cost around $1000 for a compleatly new E21 head w/ SS valves, IE 282 cam, rockers, clamps, oil rail, etc. I got a used block for $425 so I could use it and not have to work on the one in the car. It had a crank, flywheel, and other stuff. So after the machine shop did all their work, bored to new pistons and all the other needed work, that was $500. Plus the pistons at $450 and replacement rods at $200, so like I said I still need all that other stuff plus the labor. I figure for around $4000-4500. But I trust this guy and it will be a 100% fresh engine and I think it will be better than a institutional rebuild. My car is 100% rust free and will be ready for many many more years.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.