• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum advance dizzy question

Mike_R

I have had my car for almost five years and I just noticed the vacuum hose is disconnected and plugged from the engine to the vacuum advance inlet on the distributor. Should I just reconnect it? What is the function and is there any risk? Of course my car has run fine ever since I got it, and none of the mechanics have ever mentioned it after tune-up or maintenence (even after installing petronix).

Thanks in advance for not chastizing me (no pun intended).

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

hook up the vacuum hose to the dizzy, pop the cap and then suck on the hose. You should feel resistance and see the point plate move. If you see/feel neither, you know why it's disconnected--your vacuum advance diaphragm is broken. Replace the vac advance unit, then reconnect the hose properly to the carb and check the timing for correctness.

The engine will run OK without the vac advance, but will run better with it connected--otherwise they wouldn't have bothered fitting it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

You've had this thing for 5 years and you only noticed now that the vacuum is disconnected? I take it you do not do your own maintenance. If that is the case, I would suggest you ask the person you ordinarily turn to for these questions.

As has already been suggested, you can certainly try to reconnect the advance and see what happens. If, for example, the advance mechanism leaks you have one idea. If, the engine pings, then reset the ignition timing. I hate to say this, but if you have been reading this forum for a while. you should be aware that there are any number of posts on this subject - so get close to the screen and start reading. Since your question was very general, I would also suggest you look at some of the basic auto mechanics primers that abound for basic theory, and then, I would look to Haynes, Clymer etc.

Good luck

You've had this thing for 5 years and you only noticed now that the vacuum is disconnected? I take it you do not do your own maintenance. If that is the case, I would suggest you ask the person you ordinarily turn to for these questions.

As has already been suggested, you can certainly try to reconnect the advance and see what happens. If, for example, the advance mechanism leaks you have one idea. If, the engine pings, then reset the ignition timing. I hate to say this, but if you have been reading this forum for a while. you should be aware that there are any number of posts on this subject - so get close to the screen and start reading. Since your question was very general, I would also suggest you look at some of the basic auto mechanics primers that abound for basic theory, and then, I would look to Haynes, Clymer etc.

Good luck

Stan--Ouch...I think this is a fine question. We are not all mechanics.

I happen to be a Pimp.

--> 1968 2002 <--

As has already been suggested, you can certainly try to reconnect the advance and see what happens. If, for example, the advance mechanism leaks you have one idea. If, the engine pings, then reset the ignition timing. I hate to say this, but if you have been reading this forum for a while. you should be aware that there are any number of posts on this subject - so get close to the screen and start reading . Since your question was very general, I would also suggest you look at some of the basic auto mechanics primers that abound for basic theory, and then, I would look to Haynes, Clymer etc.

Good luck

Stan--Ouch...I think this is a fine question. We are not all mechanics.

I happen to be a Pimp.

I let it go, but hey you know some people just have to make thier point.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Guest Anonymous

I am sorry that you did not like my response to your post. With all due respect, there could have been less editorializing, but I did make the effort to give you an honest opinion:

As has already been suggested, you can certainly try to reconnect the advance and see what happens. If, for example, the advance mechanism leaks you have one idea. If, the engine pings, then reset the ignition timing. I hate to say this, but if you have been reading this forum for a while. you should be aware that there are any number of posts on this subject - so get close to the screen and start reading

I am far from an expert on these matters. Nevertheless, a more detailed response would require a little rudimentary understanding of engine theory and practice on your part. It wasn't clear from your post whether you possessed such information and were just testing the waters or you just plain did not know. You can accept my next suggestion anyway you care to, but there are a number of auto mechanics primers that would probably do a far better job at explaining how ignition timing works than anyone on this board in a short response. My suggestion was not the "brush-off" as you imply. Even though your question seemed simple enough, there are many different answers. Consider "my engine wont start." Would you want to be reminded to check the battery, fuel, turn the key, and on an on, or would you want to know why those things should be checked?

Again, it was not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings or score points at your expense. I will say this again, good luck.

You did not say what type of carb you are running. If you are running a Weber 32/36 DGAV/DFV, if I remember my 32/36 days, there is no vacuum takeoff suitable for tapping into to feed the vacuum advance. The signal for the advance needs to come from a source above the throttle plate, or a metered orifice and I think the 32/36 only has one vacuum port and that is below the throttle plate or manifold vacuum. Could be why the line was not connected. Just a thought.

Earl

74 2002Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell