• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boot (trunk) lid value

adamm

I've got a very good condition boot lid (unheard of over here in the land of eternal rain!) that several people are interested in - thing is I don't know what would be a reasonable sum to ask for? New panels from BMW are 600 quid or thereabouts, obviously mine would need some work prior to use: stripping, priming etc. but then a new panel isn't a bolt on option either (unless you like that black primer look!) Anybody any ideas or shall I stick it on ebay and see what happens, alternatively is it worth saving for a rainy day, are good original panels like this becoming more rare?! Cheers

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris

it's all about LOCATION and to a lessor extent, timing.

here in the 02 mecca known as the SF Bay Area, such an item may command upwards of $100 for a rust-free, dent-free example, but typical examples fetch around $20-40, or in some instances, free.

head east a state or two and the same item may command 2-3X the amount.

if it's as good as you say and folks in your area have no other alternatives i suppose you could ask 60-70% of retail without having to avoid eye contact.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I know of a couple of trunk lids, in fair condition - no major dents or dings, with some/minimal rust around inner lip - that sold in the $300 (US) range. But that was several years ago. My though, if I really needed a trunk lid and I had a choice to buy a used one like you describe for 50% to 60% of the price of a new one, I'd probably feel OK about that. If I had to pay 70%, or more, of the price of a new one, I'd seriously consider buying the new metal instead. That's my 02 cents worth.

The older I get the better I was!

Yeah, if you have the room,

keep it.

If not, 1/3 to 1/2 of new is fair- IF it's in good shape.

If the seam's starting to expand from rust, though, it's 1/6th of new...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Good comments, thanks guys. I'm torn between keeping it and moving it on. I've just finished restoring my car and I can't see me having another in the near future. Storage isn't a huge issue right now but there's no point holding on for holdings on sake. There are as many pros as cons I think! I shall offer it out at a good price (for me) and see what happens...

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris